Power steering pump reservoir

Hi Anthony,

There's no difference in the pump/reservoir between the bb/sb. The only differences would be the mounting bracket and maybe the pulley... depending on options.

Scott.

There are actually 2 different styles of pumps that will work,  one with a straight neck and one with a triangular style neck. Mine had a straight neck type and when I replaced it the new one was the other style.  For all intents and purposes they are the same.

• Like 2

Like Steve said, there are 2 different styles of pump but there is no big block or small block specific pump.

Like Dennis said, The brackets between big block and small block mounting are different and specific.

On 5/11/2023 at 4:12 PM, MC1of80 said:

I am sorry, you are correct. Scott is correct about the brackets. My apologies Scott. 

No problem..... 

If.... and I say "if" (lol) I remember correctly, the difference in the filler necks was a manufacturing date thingy. Earlier versions, (pre Jan '70) were one style, and (post Jan '70) were the other "updated" style. I believe that the '69 strike at G.M. and left over '69 stock had some influence on that. 

That's the story I've hear at a couple swap meets in the past. 

Looks like the oval neck could have been used up to 1974. Looks like mostly big blocks and some 6 cylinders too.

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/all-years/chevrolet/chevyiinova/parts/PS6182.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIluGT6aHz_gIVhefjBx0tzAgSEAkYCSABEgJ62_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I've tried looking into it in the past, because I always predominantly saw big blocks had the oval neck & small blocks had the flat faced reservoir, but that has been a hit or miss thing it seems, lately. I wish I could find one good, reliable source of info, but that has so far eluded my searches.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Adds more confusion to the conversion lol.

Yes, it does Steve. I spent a lot of time digging around a little while back hoping to find answers, but it was about as clear as mud. I'll keep researching, but this one doesn't leave me with a good feeling that I'll turn up with an answer that'll be definitive. Seems like a mix and match scenario at times. The return line tube placement is talked about sometimes as well, regarding the different reservoirs.

18 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I love to keep a thread going with my “wrinkles “. Keeps Joe up at night. Lol. It the “ CN” scenario all I’ve again. 

Nah, I've tried to search a few times over the years for the p/s reservoir info. This one won't be keeping me up at this point. 

• Like 3

Joe doesn't sleep anyway Dennis, so you will not be keeping him up!!      However, you might be keeping him out of the hot tub??????  lol

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, willie said:

Joe doesn't sleep anyway Dennis, so you will not be keeping him up!!      

I do actually get a little more sleep now that I don't work anymore. Granted, it's spread out during the day in the form of naps, because I still can't sleep thru the night like normal people.

• Like 1