Bumpers

RH 70 72

My 70 has a few noticeable dings in the front and rear bumpers. They are otherwise in good shape.

Wondering if anyone has had bumpers restored, with dents and re-chromed.

The other thought was to order them through OPGI and/or another parts outlet. Anyone purchase and install aftermarket bumpers successfully? 

Thank you. 

My luck with aftermarket rear bumpers (AMD brand) was real bad. Terrible quality. I got 3 of them from Summit, they were great about the returns, etc.

I ended up sending mine to Advance Custom Chrome in Erie, PA. They welded up a few holes and repaired some minor dents. They did a great job.

• Like 6

I had my rear bumper done at Tri-City in Elizabethtown, TN.  https://www.tricityplating.com/  They do correct any dents.  Most of the chrome places repair all dents and splits so that should not be an issue.  Just north of Pittsburgh, in Evans City, is Pauls Chrome.  Paul's Chrome is a place that many very serious restorers use Paul's Chrome.  I can tell you they do amazing work but if you were to select them you can expect to pay a lot of money because their quality does not come cheap.

rob

• Like 2

The front bumper on my 70 Monte is an aftermarket bumper.  It has been on the car well over 15 years and looks as good now as it did when I first installed it.  Regarding the fit, it is a perfect fit.  Before I installed it I did have to drill holes for my front bumper guards.  As far as the installation and adjustment...... I removed the bolts from the bumper but I did not remove the bolts mounting the bumper brackets to the frame, only the bolts mounting the bumper itself to the brackets.  I was worried about the alignment but when I raised the new aftermarket bumper to the brackets the bolts slipped right into the bracket holes with no bracket adjust adjustments.  Like I said, the fit and quality have been good since it has been on over 15 years with no chrome issues at all.

rob

2 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

The front bumper on my 70 Monte is an aftermarket bumper.  It has been on the car well over 15 years and looks as good now as it did when I first installed it.  Regarding the fit, it is a perfect fit.  Before I installed it I did have to drill holes for my front bumper guards.  As far as the installation and adjustment...... I removed the bolts from the bumper but I did not remove the bolts mounting the bumper brackets to the frame, only the bolts mounting the bumper itself to the brackets.  I was worried about the alignment but when I raised the new aftermarket bumper to the brackets the bolts slipped right into the bracket holes with no bracket adjust adjustments.  Like I said, the fit and quality have been good since it has been on over 15 years with no chrome issues at all.

rob

Rob, ty. What aftermarket source did you use for the bumper? 

11 hours ago, RH 70 72 said:

Rob, ty. What aftermarket source did you use for the bumper? 

As far as I know, but I may be wrong all the front bumpers are made by the people.  If that is still the case, you could order from who has them the cheapest including shipping.  I bought mine from Muscle Cars Only but the owner sold his business a few years ago.

rob