Julian date exceeding 365

Dale Carlson

Julian date’s start at the beginning of the year even though the actual production run starts in September ( or so) and go through the end of the production run. Confusing, yes. So a Jan 30 1971 build date would be 365 + 30. If its a 71 car. I think I did that correctly. Hmmm🤔

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cbolt said:

That cannot be a Julian date because  it would reset to the next year. Jan 30 would be obviously 1030 in the Julian calendar

The Julian date ends at the end of the production run. The next years ( just say 72) model would start back at Jan 1, 1971. Because the 72’s are being produced in 71. It’s a stupid system. 

• Like 1

I actually tried to find an answer to your question and ended up going down a rabbit hole so try and stay with my nutty answer. So in the Julian calendar the number 549 actually stands for a common year. A common year is a year that starts on a Friday. Now to make a long story short it turns out that 1971 was a common year and the first of the current era. So maybe the person who stamped your trans was as nutty as me or......they just used the wrong stamp. Now I need a nap I used up all my brain cells.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1