Best to clean Grille?

MADMAC

What do you guys reccomend on cleaning the grilles for our cars. I've been working on the grille I just bought from Danny and it's a really straight piece. This will end up being the 4th one on the car since I've owned it. It's not perfect but it's pretty close.

I first rinsed it down with hot water and a little bit of soap to get anything loose off of it. Then I started using Brasso, but stopped after a while because the can even says that it's abrasive. It was cleaning it up pretty well though. Then I broke out the Dremel and started polishing slat by slat. About three hours later I had half done. Any recommendations on polishing compounds?

MOnteParts014.jpg

MOnteParts018.jpg

MOnteParts026.jpg

Use a BRILLO pad. DO NOT USE AN SOS pad it will scratch the chrome. A few good rubs over the grill with a Brillo pad and that hase will be gone. Then of course chrome polish will polish out the chrome. you're gonna probably repaint the inside rectangles of the grill anyway, so use the brillo over the whole grill. Some sandpaper inside the squares may also be used where the paint is going to be. Don't let the sandpaper rub on the chrome thats not going to be painted, the sandpaper will of course scratch it.

My 70 grille was the same when I got it with a haze all over it. I know it sounds silly but I used a brass brush on mine and it came out great. I tried it on an area that is not seen first and it worked well and I got braver as I went along. Pretty soon I was brushing the front of the grill.

I repainted all the black with a Plasti-Kote paint called Trim Paint. It has held up really well.

Picture020.jpg

i used a brilo pad then no. 7 chrome polish then wax. i prefer new finish but had something different. then i painted the inside. i like this look instead of the chopped up chhrome look. making that chrome look nice is hard.

Brass wool is better than steel wool for that stuff, the fibers of the steel when they break off, if they lay they will rust.

Ive seen where people clean thier windows and then they have all the stains down in the cowl area, little rust fibers everywhere that stain the paint. Just my one cent (I cant afford 2 anymore)lol

I think any kind of grill work needs a removals of the grill, a comfortable chair, a big t.v. with a nice long football game or nascar race, and a few..ummm...beverages. Someday I will do mine after milking all of you for all your trail and error results...yes I am that lazy. Sorry, I know I am no help as far as suggestions, but I learn from the rest of you.

Jim

Thanks for all the suggestions everybody. I have some better pictures I'll be posting that show the before and after a little more clearly.

• 1 month later...

Alright... after hours (and hours and hours) of cleaning, Dremel work, light sanding, and taping I'm finally done. Well at least mostly; I have to do a little removal of overspray...

devil

Here's what I got:

Grille1016.jpg

Halfway taped off.

Grille1004.jpg

Here you can see how much straighter the new grille is.

Grille1008.jpg

The older grille was pitted badly.

Grille1009.jpg

Here you can see the flat black I painted the slots with. I know it's not correct but it really brings out the chrome. (It was overcast today but the grille looks really nice in the light.) This one had alot less pitting.

Man Jake... the taping took more time than anything!!! A few different times I thought "Screw it! I'm painting the whole grille!" I think I've got something like 12 hours on it. A labor of love? nutz

That's one thing I've learned doing all my painting detail work: the time is 90% masking and 10% painting. Its amazing what you can do with some time and patience.

Nice Work! smile

four-ought steel wool (0000) and a chrome polish of your choice.. cleaner wax's work really well too.

(I clean a lot of chrome stuff at leo's all the time)

• 2 weeks later...