Parking brake pedal doesn’t return home

My parking brake pedal doesn’t return to the stop when released.  What brings it home?  Is it the rear brake cable springs or is my brake brake assembly missing a return spring….?

thanks for your advice in advance 

• Like 1

Do you have a service manual? It shows how to adjust the e-brake. I know someone on here will assist you on the proper method to adjust the e-brake . I'm just wondering if the cable is dry?

• Like 2

I know this from mine, the cable coming from the pedal out the firewall, it was locked up from I believe never being used. I also think that there was old grease on it too. Had to drop it out service it when the body was off the frame. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2024 at 11:35 AM, 420ponies said:

Do you have a service manual? It shows how to adjust the e-brake. I know someone on here will assist you on the proper method to adjust the e-brake . I'm just wondering if the cable is dry?

Thanks for the reply, the cable moves, I he not tried to lube the single cable but will when I get my car out of paint lock-up, lol.  I have the two rear cables and when it gets a little warmer, snowing here right now, and feel up to laying on my back to replace them, I’ll get’er done.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thank you for this question! As part of my restoration I am currently sanding mine down to repaint and noticed that it doesn't have a return spring on the unit itself. I was getting ready to order a new one but wanted to check the forum first. You guys just saved me $100. 😅   

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 1Bad454 said:

Thank you for this question! As part of my restoration I am currently sanding mine down to repaint and noticed that it doesn't have a return spring on the unit itself. I was getting ready to order a new one but wanted to check the forum first. You guys just saved me $100. 😅   

Well we do like to save people money sometimes but more than not we like to help spend other people's money too 😅

• Haha 1

When I replaced the heater core on my 71 (No A/C) Monte, it turned into a real snowball. Since I had the carpet and dash all out I also blasten and painted the parking brake mechanism. Here is a picture.. before and after. I can't find the painted picture of it.....

IMG_0319.thumb.JPG.f95aabffb44985dd9aaaeb185d48a3e2.JPGIMG_0314(1).thumb.JPG.309eefb9fb42e1466ea5d906748238d1.JPG 

• Like 2

Thanks for posting that picture. It looks like I'm missing the adjustable bump stop thing. Do you know what lands on the ground spot?  

If we are talking about the same thing, it's the switch that will turn on the parking brake "warning light" on the dash.

I forgot to plug it back in one time and I drove the car 5 + miles with the parking brakes ON!!

My Monte Carlo, is a 1971. I don't know if that matters.

Not sure but the return spring (that releases the tension on the rear brakes) is part of the parking brake cables (I THINK)

The {GROUND} screw I have an arrow pointing to, is the ground wire attachment point for the dashboard harness.

• Like 3