1971 SS seat belt questions

Joe Szabo

This configuration is for bucket seats. From left to right the first 2 are the shoulder. 

The next 3 would be the rear.

The four buckles would be for the buckets.

What are the last 2 for? 

I would believe we are missing the rear 3 buckles. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Joe 

I believe the smaller buckles are for the shoulder/roof straps to make an early type of 3pt system. I believe they were also called highway belts. 

45 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Also the last two have smaller than buckles, do they fit the other male ends?

No the do not fit the 3 rear male ends.

If memory serves me right.... the two belts on the right are front seat lap belts that fit to the recoil boxes, the three sets in the middle are rear seats, and the one reversed female belt in the middle is for the shoulder belt. But I'm thinking there should be two of those. 

2 hours ago, Joe Szabo said:

We are now ready to install the interior and I have some questions about the seat belts. belts.thumb.jpg.f006a65309a0691c607a0195382bbdda.jpg

Upon closer review, the two on the left are definitely shoulder( look at the mount), the next three are rear. The next four, 3 of one buckle type and one of another, and behind them are three floor covers too be used with buckets ( only need two). Retractors are obvious but do the small buckles connect with them? Tom may be correct on the position of the small buckles but based on the picture it doesn’t look like it will fit. As a suggestion if you plan on driving the car s bunch I would look into the Morris Industry seat belts. They are black but direct bolt in for 3 point. I think they have rear also but I just used my original ones. If you’re truly planning on using the original set-up be careful with the shoulder belt, constant up and down of those will eventually tear up your headliner. 

• Like 1

My understanding of the two different sizes of buckles for the front seats is so you could tell which belt connected to which, as the lap belt adjustment was in the box, whereas the adjustment on the shoulder belt was in the lower belt itself. If the buckles were the same size, one could confuse them and they'd be out of adjustment. 

Mind you, a tight belt across your wife's/girlfriend's/hitch hiker's chest might be a good thing. ;)

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Upon closer review, the two on the left are definitely shoulder( look at the mount), the next three are rear. The next four, 3 of one buckle type and one of another, and behind them are three floor covers too be used with buckets ( only need two). Retractors are obvious but do the small buckles connect with them? Tom may be correct on the position of the small buckles but based on the picture it doesn’t look like it will fit. As a suggestion if you plan on driving the car s bunch I would look into the Morris Industry seat belts. They are black but direct bolt in for 3 point. I think they have rear also but I just used my original ones. If you’re truly planning on using the original set-up be careful with the shoulder belt, constant up and down of those will eventually tear up your headliner. 

I have no male ends to fit the small buckles. Its going to be a garage queen so he wants to stick with stock.

I have seen buckle parts for sale in some  magazines. I would like to disassemble the buckles I have to clean and lube. How are the buckles disassembled? 

I agree one belt is missing.  As some have said, the two on the far right with the small buckles are the lap belts and the belts in the retractors should fit into those buckles.  The two on the far left are definitely the front shoulder belts  and would fit into the second buckle from the left.  The other three large buckles would be for the back seat.

What it looks like is you are missing the buckle for the second shoulder harness.

rob

• Like 1

So the smaller buckles don't fit the male ends in the recoil boxes ?

I've got a '70 with bucket seats, and the front seats have smaller ones than the back seat. 

I believe that they are spring loaded and just pressed together, but I'm sure someone here has taken them apart before. 

lha14.thumb.jpg.28f86b2ce54ceebdaab6761d72823ca2.jpgResized_20210924_125201_2107.thumb.jpg.1c33231e878ba196d62f53c045ccc70b.jpg

It looks to me like the 4 buckles in the center are the same. If the 2nd from the left were flipped over and the buckle turned face up, they’d all match. 

30 minutes ago, Marks71 said:

It looks to me like the 4 buckles in the center are the same. If the 2nd from the left were flipped over and the buckle turned face up, they’d all match. 

Yep caught that after I posted 

That looks like what happened....... BUT, it still doesn't answer the question of where does the fourth belt go.... There should be a fifth one to match it for the front shoulder straps.

• Like 1

For my 71 bench seat Monte I ordered the optional

AK1 Custom Deluxe Belts

I have much smaller buckles for the driver and ft passenger lap belts and they are, "self adjusting" 

I believe this option also included the "Not in use holders" for the unused belts, as in this picture:

IMG_0408.JPG

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Are these the original belts that came on the car?  Was the car originally a bench seat and you’re changing to buckets?

Yes they came with the car and has bucket seats. Long story but the car was totally disassembled 5 years ago by a some jerk who was to do a restoration. After money guns and lawyers  were involved the care was moved to another shop that did not want to complete the resto because they did not disassemble it. So the they completed most of the work but the interior came back in boxes. 

We did determine the small belt buckles are the front lap belts and we have a complete set.

Thanks to all who replied!!!

IMG-0054.jpg

• Like 3