Snaps on back of cardboard that holds plate for armrest on door panel

I am new to this site and also my 1st Monte (70). I would like to change the door panel but I have never seen this type of clip on the back that holds the crome plate for the armrest. I'm sure it's something simple but I can't figure it out.

Dale, Do you have a picture?  I am not sure what clips on the chrome plate you are referring to.

rob

• Like 1

In my experience those clips can be tough to get off without breaking the tab off the chrome backing. The only time I have tried to get those clips off I was replacing the chrome backing anyway so wasn’t a big deal if I broke the tab off.

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback. It looks so simple but if I do have to break the tabs it seems like the armrest screws will hold it place. Thanks. And I will try to upload a pic.

PXL_20240309_171005826.jpg

PXL_20240309_170821745.jpg

Like Aaron said, they can be trouble., but not impossible.

I would definitely use some sort of backing plate to pry up from, so you don't just dig into the door panel (as it looks like may be starting to happen on the lower right clip in your above picture). A putty knife and screwdriver will get the job done, work it from both sides slowly until it comes off (or breaks, lol).

Luckily, one of my door panels is off right now to show you what I mean.

On a side note, welcome to the FGMCC!

Second, you mentioned you have a 1970 Monte, what engine/transmission is in the car, and is it a SS? Reason I ask, during the registration process, all the fields must have been checked and every available vehicle type was listed for your profile. I can change it for you, if you let us know. Thank you!

20240310_071606.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks jft69z and everyone else that responded. My MC has 350 engine with 350 turbo and 12 bolt rear end. This my 1st Chevy since I had a 69Z in the 70 and 80's.

• Like 1
  • Thank You! 1

Dale, we need to get you signed up as a full fledged dues paying member of the club and then talk you into joining us at our Eastern Meet in Carlisle, PA this June.  We currently have 71 members signed up to attend.  

We would love to meet you and see your Beautiful Monte.  I love your wheels.

rob

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, my 7d dream said:

Thanks jft69z and everyone else that responded. My MC has 350 engine with 350 turbo and 12 bolt rear end. This my 1st Chevy since I had a 69Z in the 70 and 80's.

Welcome to the group and welcome back to the Chevy world. 

Once you take the arm rest off and you realize how bad the plastic chrome has faded you will probably replace the anyway. Of course you may get lucky and they still look good, that doesn’t happen in my world. lol. 

Adding to what Rob and Joe posted on Carlisle. We have members coming up from Tennessee and southern Kentucky. Depending on the route taken we could all make a large caravan and get you included. A thought to ponder. 🤔 

• Like 2

Welcome Knoxville, from Ky. Wow ! You were very close to last years 2023 Eastern meet. In somerset Ky. It was a great time. Wish you could have been there , like Rob peters said earlier, this year’s eastern meet is in Carlisle PA. The largest FGMCC meet ever is scheduled.. in June there. Try and make it if you can.. Ron… ps, car looks great! 

• Like 1
  • Thank You! 1

Welcome Dale!!!!   Both bowties look great!!!   Would love to meet you and see the car in Carlisle this June!!!   

2 hours ago, my 7d dream said:

Jft69Z this is a follow up. My 1st and present car. Love them both

Thanks for the info Dale, I updated your profile.

Also, thanks for the pics of the cars. I'm pretty partial to 69 Z/28s as well 😁.

Your Monte looks great too, would love to see you at the Carlisle meet this year too. Keep in mind, if for some reason you wouldn't have the car ready by then (for whatever reason), it's NOT a requirement to attend with it. A lot of people come without them, and have just as much fun & the group still welcomes you with open arms. Just a thought.

Joe T.

1 hour ago, willie said:

Welcome Dale!!!!   Both bowties look great!!!   Would love to meet you and see the car in Carlisle this June!!!   

Thank you. I will check my schedule and see if I'm available. Take care.

• Like 1