Dashboard replacement

Has anyone used the replacement dashboard from Restoparts? Wondering about quality and fit and finish. My original dash is cracked and beat up. Also, the area where the radio knobs go through is broken. I would like to keep the GM Am/Fm/8 track tape player, but it’s a heavy piece and I’m not sure if I can repair my dash. That’s why I was thinking about just replacing the whole thing. Thoughts?

IMG_6443.jpeg

I’ve never used these but I do believe someone sells the radio hole repair cups. The brace in back holds a lot of the weight. 

• Like 3

I got a aftermarket dash from the parts place and the wood grain holes that go into the dash pad did not matchup with the holes in the dash

I was looking into it a few years back, so I could cut a hole for a DIN sized stereo unit & not chop up my OEM dash. Most of the reviews I saw weren't too good as far as fit, so I ended up getting a different stereo that fit in the original dash. I figured, for the money they were asking, it wasn't worth the drama.

I ended up getting an old, OEM dash from a member here (Willie), that was just perfect for what I need, if I decide to replace the radio down the road.

• Like 1

if you want to see how bad an aftermarket dash is just check my car in Carlisle. The upper area where the pad sits isnt even straight which causes the dash pad to bow up on one side and in the middle. My original had the radio area completely cut away and back then nobody offered the plastic cups for the radio knob posts. Even so I doubt they would have worked because so much material was missing. No amount of dremeling has been able to correct the obvious bow in the upper area of the replacement dash. 

I have considered driving to NPD, which is about an hour away, and seeing if they have one in stock I can check with a straight edge, insert and a dash pad for fitment. If they do someday down the road I will get one because the dash is one of the few things I can actually see while driving down the road and its really not pleasant to look at. You know, someday when I have $500 bucks just lying around that I want to throw at something just for aesthetics and has no impact on performance, comfort or drivability. 

• Like 3

A lot of dash’s on marketplace. My brother just found that was perfect for 100 bucks. He missed the sale on it, but they are out there. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dtret said:

A lot of dash’s on marketplace. My brother just found that was perfect for 100 bucks. He missed the sale on it, but they are out there. 

What you don't have 10 in stock Dennis???  lol

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, willie said:

I was sort of thinking something along those lines. If someone has one and brings it to Carlisle, it would save the shipping costs and possible damage. 

49 minutes ago, willie said:

I do.  lol. ( not 10 but 6). I would only use one of them. It seems we all used to get carried away cutting holes for radios. But they can be repaired with a little work. If it’s done decently the faceplate should hide the repair. 

• Like 1

I’d be willing to make the trip to Carlisle if someone had a dash for sale. 

Sounds like it’s the typical Chinese syndrome,  quality isn’t there. 

im pretty sure mine is missing brackets and reinforcements that are suppose to be there from the factory, I was hoping a new one would have everything included. I guess I’ll keep an eye out for a used one. 

Where can I get the cups to repair the area where the radio shafts go through?

7 minutes ago, 71SSclone said:

We have one hotel room left at Carlisle, according to Rob. Sounds like a win/win situation!

35 minutes ago, 71SSclone said:

Sounds like it’s the typical Chinese syndrome,  quality isn’t there. 

im pretty sure mine is missing brackets and reinforcements that are suppose to be there from the factory, I was hoping a new one would have everything included. I guess I’ll keep an eye out for a used one. 

Where can I get the cups to repair the area where the radio shafts go through?

John, one of our members, Steve Demers has a lot of used and NOS Parts for Monte's.  He almost always has a parts vendor spot in the vendor area during every Eastern Meet.  If he knows of a special part someone wants that normally he would not bring to Carlisle he will make it a point to bring it.    He, Dennis, Leo and Jared, who all sell many parts will also be coming to our Eastern Meet and may be able hook you up at the Eastern Meet.  I have sent you a Private Message.

I will do anything to get more members registered to attend our Eastern Meet.  Never even hint you may come "IF"......  because it won't slip past many of our members.  If you decide to come you could be member 79 or maybe even 80 or who knows, member 90.  Even though only one room remains in the host hotel but I have also secured a contract at another hotel for an additional 15 rooms.  On top of that, I will start a waiting list for rooms at our host hotel in case our hotel gets any cancellations outside our block of rooms and give our club first choice at these cancelled rooms.

If anyone has a trashed dash backing with damaged radio shaft cups and replacement cups maybe we could have a seminar in the club canopy to show people how to do these repairs.  I would suspect some people would use the super glue and baking soda trick to attach the new cups to a damaged dash

rob

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 71SSclone said:

Dennis, want to sell one of those dashboards?

I will but I don’t know if they will help you. Send pictures of what you have and I’ll see if I have anything better. Thanks 

• Like 1

The cups on my 69 Camaro were pretty butchered from an aftermarket radio that I was replacing with a stock Delco. I made new cups using pvc pipe caps. Before shaving off the old cups I measured their depth and trimmed the pvc to the same. I used JB Weld to bond them and also to create a gusset around the perimeter of the cap at the bonding surface. I then blended the inside of the caps with a Dremmel to blend seamlessly with the knob opening in the dash and resprayed everything with satin black. That was 23 years ago.

• Like 8

Jim and John, if Dennis doesn't have anything good enough i would definitely call the others that Rob has listed, they are all going to be at the June show and maybe they can bring one for both of you guys!!!

I also put new cup on my dash. Picked them up from someone at Carlisle and used 2part epoxy and it worked fine!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dtret said:

I will but I don’t know if they will help you. Send pictures of what you have and I’ll see if I have anything better. Thanks 

The dash is in Pa but I’m headed up there next week. I can get a pic then. 

2 hours ago, willie said:

Jim and John, if Dennis doesn't have anything good enough i would definitely call the others that Rob has listed, they are all going to be at the June show and maybe they can bring one for both of you guys!!!

I also put new cup on my dash. Picked them up from someone at Carlisle and used 2part epoxy and it worked fine!!!

If you are talking to me, I am not interested in a dash at Carlisle. Too big and bulky to transport home for starters. 

I know this doesn't really apply to the big plastic dash assembly, but I tend to shy away from 50-year-old plastic parts in favor of new ones because plastic tends to become brittle with age and I have seen too many plastic parts fail for no apparent reason other than age to fully trust them. Thinking about the dash though, I don't think there are any small areas that would be prone to cracking like the dash insert molded screw anchor areas. I think I still have my original dash in the box the new one came in and I will have to dig it out and see if the repair is something that is a viable option. 

• Like 2

If you are talking to me, I am not interested in a dash at Carlisle. Too big and bulky to transport home for starters

Yes Jim i was talking to you or John or whoever needs anything large, just to save the shipping!!    Not saying you have to, just throwing it out there that you can...

• Like 3

I'd be interested in 1 if it was at Carlisle. Traveling from Fl to Pa is a normal occurance for me. I'm going to bring mine back to Fl next week and go through everything. I have to figure out whats broken and missing. Maybe I can repair it and not replace it. Or I can buy a used one and combine the 2 into a perfect dashboard. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2024 at 10:49 AM, Dtret said:

Hi Dennis.  Pictures to follow on what I have. I believe I'm missing a brace that secures the center of the dashboard, it would vibrate alot driving down the road. I also couldn't find the rear support brace for the AM/FM/8 Track stereo. That radio is really heavy, and the reason my radio shaft cups are broken. 

Hey Dennis, while your checking stuff, can you see if you have a pair of front speaker brackets, for the 2 speaker dash also? Thanks