Original Delco radio

MonteCarLois

Hey guys,

I think I'm a spider, but not sure what that is...

...anyway, I'm restoring my '71 and looking to buy an original equipment radio, but I'm not sure what it should look like.

Can anyone tell me or better yet, post a picture of what one should look like?

Thanks

Hey guys,

...anyway, I'm restoring my '71 and looking to buy an original equipment radio, but I'm not sure what it should look like.

Thanks

Richard, I don't have any pic's handy but I'm sure someone will. There are 3 types...standard AM....AM/FM....and Radio with built in 8 track (not sure if the are AM or AM/FM)....which one do you want or does it matter....Dave... grin

Any or all. Most of the radios in that era are basically the same looking Delco wonderbar, from what I can tell. I was wondering if the radios in '71 had the stupid looking knobs with the symbols on them or if they are black or woodgrain.

Beautiful '67 BTW, Reds.

Thanks Richard....The '70 had the rounded mushroom looking knobs and the '71-72's had the knobs you're referring to. There were no wonderbar's just regular push buttons. Dave

Here are a few pic's for what you are after.

There are several varieties to consider.

AM Radio only - I Front center speaker (w/o A/C)

Easiest and cheapest to find (uses 10 Ohm speaker(s) only)

Not certain of speaker dimension or if speaker bracket is

unique with 1970/71/72 Montes!

AM/FM Mono Radio - 2 Front & 1 Rear Speaker

(Uses 10 Ohm speakers only) front are 4X6 and rear 6X9 oval

Driver side speaker bracket is unique to 1970/71/72 Monte Carlo only for Mono and Stereo!

AM/FM Mono Radio (w/ built in Fader Control) 2 Front & 1 Rear (Uses 10 Ohm speakers only) front are 4X6 and rear 6X9 oval

Driver side speaker bracket is unique to 1970/71/72 Monte Carlo only for Mono and Stereo!

AM/FM Stereo Radio - 2 Front & 2 Rear Speakers

(Uses 10 Ohm speakers only)front are 4X6 and rear 6X9 oval

(Must use 10 Ohm speakers or damage to the radio will occur)

1971 & 72 has blue light illumination & uses the symbol knobs

1970 has green light illumination & knobs unique to 1970 only

All use the deep chrome controls found behind the knobs often called SS controls.

Mono radios display 1 diode on back while Stereo have 2 diodes displayed on rear. Stereo also identified as such with stereo script on r/h side of tuner

Wiring harnesses are different from AM, AM/FM Mono and AM/FM Stereo radios

Pic's show Stereo version & is correct look for application.

Hope this hepls!

100_1800.jpg

100_1802.jpg

Doug

My 71 came with an AM radio with driver side and passenger side speakers (not center speakers), also with A/C. The knobs are black with silver trim.

If you had AC then you would have the stereo dash pad with two speakers. If you did not have AC but had a mono Radio then you would have a mono dash with one center speaker.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

AC cars would have two speakers regardless of AM, Mono or Stereo. AC apperatus would interfer if speaker were mounted in center of dash. Only non-AC cars would have the center speaker only with AM radios. AM/FM mono radios would have two front & one rear speaker regardless of A/C or not.

Awww, the mattress isn't all that nice!

Doug

Lets see we had a 70 Chevelle which was a non a/c car and it had the stereo speakers 2 4x6 in the dash and 2 6x9 in the rear, no w/ built in Fader Control plus it was a 8 track player. We currently have a 70 El Camino non a/c car which was a single speaker. My Monte is or was an a/c car with a 4 speaker setup. 70 knobs are black with chrome trim. 71 base models got the solid black knobs. 71ss and 72 had the symbol knobs. The drivers side speaker wasn't just unique to the 70-72 Monte's the Chevelle's had the same speaker with the gauge dash. The magnet was offset to clear the amp gauge on that side of the dash don't know why as i have a 4x6 with a round magnet sitting there now.

Hey guys,

Thanks

Richard,

For a listing of all radios w/pictures, try here:

CLICK ME!

This is the Team Chevelle site, but the radios used in both cars are identical. One of the other guys posted what the radio knobs should look like. If you want some sources of where to purchase used radios, let me know. I know of a couple places besides eBay that typically have them in stock.

~ Z

70 knobs are black with chrome trim. 71 base models got the solid black knobs. 71ss and 72 had the symbol knobs.

Robert got it correct on the radio knobs. The 71 non-SS is different from all 72s. This also applies to the headlamp and lighter knobs as well. Don't go by what this web site has under Tech Info, How do you Tell Them Apart since it is incorrect.

Mike