Gas tank

Monteman1971

I've replaced the gas tank in 2 Montes...both times I used the Chevelle piece and just assumed they were the same...shouldn't assume....lol....... Today trying to find a tank for my current Monte...the parts guy comes up with 2 part numbers, one for the Chevelle and one for the Monte?? So I go back to my multi-purpose crash book and wouldn't you know it...they have different part numbers!!!!

So the question is.....Does any one know what the differences might be? They worked and fit fine in the last 2 that I did and I can't imagine what the difference might be. The Monte and Chevelle both have the same trunk floor, bracing and filler neck location..... I'm at a loss here..... 25 years restoring these Monte's and I'm still learning something new all the time smile

Steve

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't really know Steve but in my former life if they changed vendors for the factory for some reason they would modify the part number for record keeping but the part was usually identical..... confused...doubt if they would do that for afermarket though...

Check the capacity. You might want to check Tony's Toy Box. He used to work for Ausleys. He was at Carlisle and he is selling gas tanks made out of Stainless Steel. I think the price was 229.00 and made in USA. They were not passing out Catalogs, so my info might be a little off.

Carl

I looked in the 71 Chevelle (and Monte) Factory Assembly Manual and the Chevelle wagon and El Camino each have a differnt gas tank but the Chevelle and Monte are the same part number. The Monte does have a different filler neck part number than the Chevelle.

Mike

I like the tank they show in Summit catalog. $800+ dollars is a little much, but at least I have my sump and then I can finish up the fuel lines. Just another project to put on the list for this winter. Hope the bank account holds up until then. I may have to come out of retirement to pay all the bills.

Steve. I had the company wrong. I'm OLD. Here it is Big Tonys Chevellesrus. The web site is www.chevellesrus.com phone is 1-888-697-7396. I checked the web site for the tank. Not there. You would need to call or email them. I did see them at the swap meet. Let us know.

Thanks, Carl

Steve here it to best stock one you can get.. He has them for all years. I went with the one that does not have vent tubes for the FI.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-1972...sQ5fAccessories

I got mine at the local Discount Auto parts store for around the same price, no shipping. The good ones are made in Canada...

Just called Chevelles R Us. 1967-8-9 stainless tanks are coming as we speak but the stainless tanks for 1970-1-2 will be another three to four weeks before they are available.

Get this: ONLY $ 229 !! yay

Almost sorry I have a tank already.

Dan

Thanks Ian,

I'm going to give my local Advance Auto Parts store a call.

Steve

yeah but Steve make sure you tell people you got it at some high zoot restoration shop!!!

I would order it from Leo for sure but if I get it local I avoid the shipping......I've got 2 guys that have it local. One has the Chevelle tank at $170 and the other has the Monte tank for $200.....no tax either.

Leo, do you know what the difference is between the 2 tanks?

Steve , i never noticed a differance , it could be something very minor , could be a slight differance in filler neck length as the trunk pans are identical but the back area as the trunk and back panel meet is different

Leo