Cost of having a shop repaint our cars?

monte11sec

i painted mine myself and it came out great. I can't see paying 12K for something i could do myself for about 1k. If i had to pay other people for the things I want to do with this hobby, I wouldn't be able to participate.

I used to paint my own cars but now I don't have the space or equipment. I know there are some places where you can rent a booth but you would have to do all the prep at home. For a first timer it would be a big challenge but doable if you have some talent for these things. I befriended a guy at a body shop and he showed me the ropes.

It all depends on what a person calls "driver" quality. To some Maaco would fill the bill, if they do it on a good day from 10 feet it's not too bad.

Stripping all the chrome off, removing panels, blocking, this moves it above driver quality IMO. 8 out of 10 wouldn't go to that much effort. $10-12,000 should be plenty, that would get you some love at most car shows.

I do this for the love of the hobby and the satisfaction I get from making a car I love look its very best. I learned a long time ago not all cars are going to return an investment so that doesn't really enter into it anymore.

I really don't have any other hobbies I have passion for so it's money well spent for me. If I had other serious hobbie interests then it would be different.....Crazy Davey

Nicely put Davey. I couldn't agree more.. it's about the love of the car for me. The sad thing is the price escalates as soon as the true work begins. Stripping it and finding all the hidden repair that must be done right.. anyone can apply bondo. lol

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of being at the right place at the right time... When I got my engine done I took my Monte up to the local cruise spot. Very rarely do you ever see any muscle car there, it is mostly hondas and other imports with owners that cant buy the right sized clothing and with chips on their shoulders... anoth story another time.

Anyway, I rolled in with straight pipes and no mufflers, not too loud but noticable ;), and when I parked a guy got out of his camaro and came up to me and said he had an all original 70' his dad gave him. That guy is Nathan, his pics are in my intro thread, and he recently graduated from Wyotech at the top of his class for auto body and collision.

Long story short he sucks at mechanic work and I suck at paint work so he gets all off his mechanic work done by me and he is doing my entire resto for the cost of materials!

Very rarely do you find a 20 year old guy with a love and passion for older cars and not to mention the respect to go along with it.

Keep looking around at the local meets there are people out there that have th talent and ability and are willing to do it, not for the money or tons of it at least, but will do it for the sake of saving another muscle car from the crusher!

Side note I am married and nathan is just a friend! lol

• 1 year later...

I'm aware this thread is old but. get in good with a painter and make buddy buddy with em. getting all of mine done for 700. this includes me helping getting it down to bare metal and media blasting.

This is a good thread if an old one. I've talked to a few friends that work at shops or own a shop and most tell me that a basic paint job would run $3000 -$4000 depending on the amount of metal work and the choice of paint.

I've been asking about going back to the original Cranberry red but in base clear and want the car to go all the way down to metal. I have gotten one guy that said $6000 but I got the feeling he didn't want the work....

• 2 years later...

Sort of resurrecting the dead here, but I remember an old post where Leo (in a reply) provided a good outline of what prep/strip work could be done before presenting it to the body shop. Can anyone remember that and help me find that post?

Any thing at all you can remove will save you money, any time you invest will be time they don't have to, and ultimately less of a bill! Like Sam said, find a shop and speak with them, it's a great way to get a feel for how they operate and what is expected on your part and theirs