rear glass

black07ss

I'm looking to take out the rear glass. What is the best method or should I place a call to a glass company?? From what I have researched it is almost as cheap to bust it and have a new installed than try to save it having them come out removing it??

Oh no please dont bust it out!

Try searching for a glass removal tool such as this

cold%2520knife.jpg Just type "Glass removal tool" into a search at Eastwood or a tool company.

Or you can use a section of guitar string and a couple of vise grips to run it back and forth through the butyl tape.

Its very easy to do, just take your time. The rear glass is much more forgiving than a windshield for removal

The piano wire/guitar string method works pretty good, but it takes two people. One on the inside and one on the outside.

The tool pictured above is what the glass guy would use: It can be done with one person from the outside of the car...but costs more for the tool. The guitar string can be found cheaply enough at a music store.

The window sits on a ledge that goes all the way around, and is simply glued in with butyl. Butyl is like a heavy-duty version of silicone...it is like liquid rubber from a tube (don't use silicone for windows). They put a bead of butyl all around the ledge, and set the window down into it.

When I did mine years ago, the tricky part was getting the wire through to the other side....it has to go around the edge of the glass and then turn to escape on the other side.

Here is a crude picture: 6591502-0-large.jpg

I'd recommend having the glass guy put it back in.

i just pried mine out with a screwdriver.. there was only a thin strip of stuff at the top still holding it in the car..

if it was replaced with urethane you are in for a fight to remove it...

Some of them are basically laying in there. I've pulled many out with a few pries from a basic screw driver, and just pushed it right out.\

Depends on how old the kit is around the window. If its the original and not all gooked up, it should come out easily.

I agree on the piano string method.