Shot tranny?

7d1hoopd

Do you think I could add a little Lucas Transmission Fix and put a few more miles on 'er 'fore she needs a rebuild? I ran a magnet through the sludge and picked up minimal shavings. Is this stuff from the clutch belts or is it just old? The old girl's only got 115,000 miles on her.

100%5E_3732.jpg

AH HA! Got it!

Quote:
Do you think I could add a little Lucas Transmission Fix and put a few more miles on 'er 'fore she needs a rebuild? I ran a magnet through the sludge and picked up minimal shavings. Is this stuff from the clutch belts or is it just old? The old girl's only got 115,000 miles on her.

100_3732.jpg

Reverse only works when it's warmed up and there is a little slippage in drive when she's cold.

it's toast, or about to become toast, you maybe able to "nurse" it along for a while, but do you want to be left on the side of the road somewhere?

sounds like your forward clutch pack is about to fail, all that crud in the pan is clutch disc material

Quote:
all that crud in the pan is clutch disc material

Yes. Dan, worn out clutch packs won't produce much metal particles in the pan, but plenty of friction material. It's similar to brake pad material and as it gets old and worn thin in a trans, it will break down and end up in the pan. I rebuilt the TH400 in our '70 in Oct. and the forward clutch pack discs didn't have any material left on them. The discs were bare metal. When they get down to where there is only a small amount of material left, the remaining material will wear out quickly, even when driving it easy. I think it's mostly due to higher heat caused by the thin discs with little material and maybe lower than needed pressure on the discs, due to the particles in the fluid.

I had to trailer our car home.

Quote:
Do you think I could add a little Lucas Transmission Fix and put a few more miles on 'er 'fore she needs a rebuild?

I wouldn't. Save yourself some time, money and headaches by rebuilding it now. If not, you'll probably have to tear it apart during nice weather, when you'd rather be enjoying a drive.

th350's are easy to rebuild yourself in your garage.. most of the special tools required can be fabricated from basic hand tools...

if you can read a book and follow directions you can deafinately do the rebuild yourself!

I agree with others here. It is funny, as I read your post the same term Sam used popped into my head..... "It's Toast"

At our Eastern Meet in Bristol club founder Kevin Wiles was having some tranny problems. I think it was frist gear he was missing. We dropped the pan to change the filter and found it filled with "Chunks" rather than "Shavings". Kevin was able to limp home without problem.

Rob

Anyone have any experience with a B&M street/strip rebuild kit? I've always wanted to get into a trans...what a better way to see how one works.

I perfer the Hughes Performance rebuild kits. Did my first th350 rebuild with Hughes and worked out great. Alittle more $$$$ than B&M but worth it. - Dave

I have the B&m shift kit..the one that comes in the flat envelop. money well spent. The car still chirps 1-2 at the track with my M/T's. ; )

Decided to do a complete overhaul and I'm trying to decide which kit to go with. Has anyone used the TCI Pro Super Overhaul Kit (P/N 32880)? I can't find a detailed parts list for it. The Hughes (P/N 3290) and B&M (P/N 30229) kits come complete with all necessary parts and pieces. I'm leaning toward the B&M... comes with 24 pages of detailed instructions and, if you read my post on wheel locks, you'll know I like the cost grin.

The rebuilt TH350 will be backing a stock 270hp 350 w/ 115,000 miles. Would liked to have worked over the engine first- cam, intake and carb, head work (the inexpensive horsepower upgrades)- but necessity dictates otherwise. Advice or experiences would help.

Thanks, Dan

Click here for B & M Transkit

Click here for TCI Pro Super Kit

Click here for Hughes Master Overhaul Race Box Kit

]

Here is the info on the TCI kit:

TCI kit

I think I used a TCI kit when I rebuilt my trans. No complaints really.

I did notice that some of the kits come with bushings, and others do not. I can't remember doing any bushing in mine...but I'd do everything you could while in there.

I had a GM-ATI type transmission overhaul manual, and the instructions that came with the kit. I still felt like I didn't know what was going on; they do a nice job of telling you how to remove and replace the items, but don't tell you where to look or how to measure for wear. I had no Idea if my trans case was a good candidate for rebuilding.

I just felt I would have liked more info on the setup, instead of just blindly drilling a hole larger because they said to.

One thing I learned is that the entire process happens with the transmission standing up on it's tail. I had imagined it going together on a bench. I used a trash can and stood the unit up inside of it. It worked great.