Th 350 or Th 400 ?

speedfreak71

I want some opinions here. Im pulling out the 350 motor and trans. Should I rebuild the Th350 which looks to have been rebuilt in '02 ? I'm thinking less than 10k miles ago. Just put a shift kit in it or.... install the TCI Th400 I already own and is fresh. Either way I want to keep a kick down hooked up to it. What are your thoughts ? Thanks

If you already have the 400, might as well use it. I'll come by and pick up that worthless th350 from you so you don't have it taking up space in the garage! wink

okay everybody, we're going to quote Scott on this.... grin

Let me add my nickels worth here . Ive been there done that and wasnt happy . The reason I wasnt happy ,I did the 400 trans into my 70 300HP 350/350 and it never performed as well as it had with the 350 and a shift kit . The first gear ratios are quite different in the 350 and 400 . The 400 first gear is higer . If you are still running the stock ratio axle that most came with ( 2.73:1 ) I would recommend you might want to go into some 3.23:1 axle gears if not a lower ratio .

Originally Posted By: Heckeng
If you already have the 400, might as well use it. I'll come by and pick up that worthless th350 from you so you don't have it taking up space in the garage! wink

okay everybody, we're going to quote Scott on this.... grin

That's right Davey, I'll take any of those pesky th350's off anybody's hands if they want me to get rid of them for them! lol I sure am glad I don't run one. . . Oh wait. . . . shocked

i wouldn't bother with a 400 unless you are running a big block. 400's have a higher parasitic loss then a TH350 and it's just unnecessary weight.

there are days I regret swaping my TH350c for a 700r4.

Thanks for all the reply's !!!! I just finished up swapping out the 10 bolt for the 12 bolt adding a posi and 3.31's. After lot's of reading I went with stock upper bushings and put the poly ones in the bottom CA's that have been boxed in. I also added the BMR sway bar and control arm braces.I re-did all the brakes even the master cylinder and booster. Hopefully the 383 will be ready for assembly next week

I'll come by and pick up that worthless th350 from you so you don't have it taking up space in the garage! wink

This is a good example of what I love about this club. Look how unselfish Scott is here. He is willing to come pick up someone elses junk so it isn't cluttering up another members garage. Now, if I could only get someone to come take some of the "real junk" out of my garage so I could get at my Model A to fix it.

Rob

i wouldn't bother with a 400 unless you are running a big block. 400's have a higher parasitic loss then a TH350 and it's just unnecessary weight.

there are days I regret swaping my TH350c for a 700r4.

ah come on Timmy, some good antibiotics will clear that right up....

Parasitic loss is a term describing the result of letting some volunteer haul away your stuff for free.

As for the unnecessary weight....

fat_1528616c.jpg

On a small block car you will be giving up a few tenths for longevity if you go with the TH400.

I run a TCI Th350 behind the 496 in my 71. Well over 150 passed and much street abuse with zero issues. I have a 400 backup. Not sure when I will need it.

Andy

Parasitic loss is a term describing the result of letting some volunteer haul away your stuff for free.

As for the unnecessary weight....

fat_1528616c.jpg

Man, you guys catch on quick! lol Steve, I obviously would support you keeping the th350. They are massively underestimated and great transmissions. wink

I would say they are underestimated by approximately 256.54 lbft of torque capacity, but that is only my estimate too! smile

Seriously though, Andy runs one behind his 496 with lots of abuse, my friend runs 9's with his. I don't see any reason the rest of us with "normal" engines can't run them with great success.