transmission

Guest thee72mc

Guest thee72mc

hello every1.. Today i had the transmission check out byy a friend of mine. HAving problems with the transmission not going into gear. It doesnt even click into any gear at all. He checked the linkage and says eerything seems ok but maybe something internally in the transmission not working. Any advice on what it could be or do i need a another tranny please let me kno guyss...

Guest thee72mc

yes we checked tranny fluid. The first time it started was the monte didnt have a reverse it didnt click into reverse. all it did was when i took it off park the car would go forward. We were messing with the shifter and the horseshoe shifter didnt click in any gears except park. After this happened the monte would not fire up.. well it did fire up but shut right off. my friend said that the tranny was in 2 gears thats what was causing the monte to shut off.. is my transmission gone? and what could have caused it if i never drove it during winter, just started the car once in a while.

I'm a little confused with your description: When you say it "won't click into any gear", does that mean the horseshoe moves forwad & back and feels like it isn't hooked to anything?...or it feels normal but the trans isn't responding?

On the side of the tranmission (drivers side) is the linkage that should rotate when the shifter moves. Have someone look under there while you move the shifter.

Hmmm...still confused here. Maybe the word "click" is what's messing me up.

Does the transmission shift in and out of park when you move the shifter?

What Wallaby was trying to get you to do is not to watch the horse shoe shifter, but look at where the cable attaches to the transmission case. There is a lever on both the outside AND the inside that pan that will move when the horseshoe shifter part is moved. The "clicker" is a spring loaded thing on the INSIDE of the transmission that you can watch if you take the pan off. The inside parts (and the outside too if I remember right) are both held onto the shift linkage shaft that goes through the transmission cased by nuts and these nuts can loosen up and cause things not to feel right. The detent spring (clicker spring) is held on by a bolt through the valve body which can loosen up and then you lose all resistance when moving the shifter and it won't click any more.

The other problem areas that could cause a fault or a bunch of faults are on the pass side of the tranny there is a vacuum pod that has a rubber hose attached to it which runs up to the intake that hose may be split or come off causing it not to go into gear properly or allowing the fliud to go thriough the internal plenum properly when the Detent cable shifts the adjustment rod inside the tranny. the bottom part of the tranny will look like a mouse maze with 5-6 check balls or ballbearings which shift around in their pocket when the fluid travels through a modulator or gouvenor (Valve Body). when the balls move it allows the fluid to travel causing pressure to build up to change gears from park thru to low 2. If your trans filter is clogged up that will not help with fluid flow either.Yes it sounds like a big brain fart but that is part of the internal probs it could have besides the detent cable needing adjusting from either the inside of the tranny or up at the side of the carb by the gas linkage on the same bracket..........? Darren

i had a similar problem with my TH350 once..

the bolts holding the shift linkage assembly inside the transmission pan fell out, and while manually shifting, the s-shaped link that connects the outside lever to the control valve inside fell out.. leaving me stuck in Low 2... I can only imagine what the neighbors thought of me cruising home @ 2am in 2nd gear with glasspacks..

Guest thee72mc

Hopefully I have a similiar problem,or something easier to fix.. will find out this weekend i hope i dont have to spend some money on a new tranny or anything. i really miss cruising in it....................

I'm the friend who checked his tranny. Fluid is full. External linkage is tight and going through the full distance from park to low. When you move the shifter it feels like it's not connected to anything. When we started trying to find the problem, the engine would run but it wouldn't go into reverse just forward. After moving the shifter a few times, the engine died and now it will start but die in less than a second. Just guessing here, maybe it ended up in two different gears and that kills the engine when the pump builds up pressure. Possible? We will drop the pan and see what the linkage inside looks like. Hope it's something easy to do. When it comes to trannys, I'm an R&R guy.

Guest thee72mc

got the transmission working today! shift linkage inside of there had a loose bolt making the S shape linkage to come apart! thanks to steve for fixing it and everyones advice. today was a good day