Rally Wheel Paint - Back side of Wheel Color?

I just media blasted my 15 x 7 spare Rally Wheel. No idea why because my car needs a TON of prep work, but I just primed the wheel and am about to spray it with the argent silver. I am wet sanding the surface also.

Is the correct color of the back side of the wheel also Argent Silver or Black?

Thanks!

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Where did you get the Argent silver paint(name of maker)? I just picked up a rally for a spare. The funny thing with it once the tire came off the back does look like it was black at one point someone paitned it silver. Inside the wheel the black line is about 1 to 1.5 inches inside the rear lip. I thought it looked pretty funny.

I swear my spare was gray with silver over-spray on the inside. The other four, don't recall. I bead blasted all five, E-Coated them at work (the good part of my old job) then sprayed the outside only with silver waterborne BC/CC. WB BC/CC was very new and not commercial then and it has held up very well with some yellowing of the clear 22+ years later. Could be different colors from different wheel plants?

Bruce

I used a Smoke Gray color on the backside, believe from Rustoleum when I refinished my rallys last year. They came out looking really good. I went ahead and did the spare the same way. Probably not 100% correct, but I like it. I did use the correct Argent Silver on the front side though.

• 2 weeks later...

After looking at the link NateZ posted that took me to the Eastwood website. They sell a chevy rally paint set, I went out and looked at mine on the car. I do believe they are all original the more I look at them, ALL 4 are black on the backside of the rim. Which does go with the one I bought to make my spare(with the black over the lip to the inside of the rim about an inch or so.

I have the original spare in mine and it is all grey. They probably varied from factory to factory and year to year depending on the wheel run..Dave

There are actually 3 correct colors: Black, argent silver and dove gray. Some of the colors depend on the build date of the wheel. My wheels were built in May 1970. The 4 on the ground were black but the spare was gray.

I was just told today by Jim Boczar that the color is Dove Gray. I did a search and found Plastikote #364 is Dove Gray.

Thanks for all the feedback. I actually did go with the Eastwood Argent Silver on the front and Satin Black for the back. I also purchased the Diamond Clear. I figure if I am not happy with the Diamond Clear, I will media blast again and start from scratch....

The spare is done. 4 more to go.

Thanks again everyone!

Greg

I have the original spare in mine and it is all grey. They probably varied from factory to factory and year to year depending on the wheel run..Dave

So does Red know that you are now claiming her Monte as your own? eek Carefull. grin

Originally Posted By: Reds72WMonte

So does Red know that you are now claiming her Monte as your own? eek Carefull. grin

you're right...what's hers is hers and what's mine is hers too.... eek

• 5 months later...