Bench seat 4 speed

4spd71

How do I find out if my 71 Monte is a 4 speed from the factory. Supposedly it is a factory 4 speed big block with bench seat. The engine is not original, but it is a 454 out of a 73-85. The car is mulsane blue with medium blue cloth and looks like it had a vinyl roof.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the engine gone you will need to find the build sheet to confirm it is a 4 speed car. No 454 4 speeds in a Monte. Only 402 and 350 motors came with the 4 speed option.

You can the transmission for the vin #, it should match the vin on your dash.

Hope this helps,

Vaughn

Only in 1972 could you tell the engine size from the vin #.

Look under and behind the front and rear seat for build sheet. Under the carpet, on top of the glove box, behind the door panels.

The 7th digit in your vin is the assembly plant. If it is an F chances are you will not find a build sheet.

Check out the tech section and it will help you out a whole bunch.

Vaughn

The car is from the L-los angelos/van nuyes(sp) plant. It has a paint code 26 26, which is Mulsane Blue, it looks like it had a vinyl roof, came with the chrome for it, but no vinyl anymore. Is there a blue vinyl roof? I was happy to find the right vin on the trans and a correct 12 bolt under it.

I have looked for build sheet under seats, in door panels, on top of gas tank, have not found it yet.

Mark, welcome to the site! smile Did you find the stamped #s on the trans that are identical to the last part of your VIN, or did you find the casting # that matches the year, or maybe both? Just trying to help here.

Dan

My vin is 138571L166211 the trans is part # 3925661, with vin stamping 1l166211-date code p1028a-I dont know trans date code yet, hoping the car was built on my birthday if I find it-that would be too cool. I think I located the build sheet-the last owner said he thinks he has it in a file and will look this weekend-no sleep till then. He never did anything with the car, said he bought it cause he liked first gen, but never got around to it. The rear end has the code 3969278n, it is a 12 bolt and has some high gear-like a 4.11 I think. With as much grunt as this thing has a 3.55 would probably be better, but I think I am going to start my frame off resto.