Bench seat 4 speed

4spd71

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you link to facebook?
As long as you let others see the images, then you can link to a picture on facebook.

This picture is on my facebook, and I right clicked on it and clicked copy image location in Firefox then pasted it between the  tag

59287_150814961617002_100000654969641_29

The 67 Nova, 71 Monte and the Suburban are mine, the 67 SS 396 is a customers car. I have a problem, like they say the first step is admitting you have a problem-I love cars. So right now I have 5 of my own and there are usually 4 customer cars here.

I love old muscle cars. Just happy I found a real jem. My neighbor bought a 71 Roadrunner like 10 years ago-found out it had the same production date as his birthday-if the Monte I bought has the same coincedence as that that would be too cool!

For a build date, check for a sticker on the drvr. door, near the latch. It's also on the cowl tag. Look here.

Congratulations on your find and purchase of a rare 4 spd car. I hope the guy finds the build sheet smile

How about the opening for the shifter? My understanding is they are pretty unique for standards and unlikely anyone would have transplanted the floor pan. Most former automatics have nasty hacked up holes to accomodate the differences. Sam probably has a nice picture of what one is supposed to look like for a bench 4 speed.

if the paint code is "26 26"

it didn't come with a vinyl top, the first 26 is for the lower color, the second for the upper color.

if it was a vinyl top the codes for 1971 are...

A...white

B...black

C...blue

G...green

H...gold

you could have a cowl tag like mine that doesn't have ANY paint codes on it

70monte019.jpg

Mark, I remember now that I had this date code problem on my tag. The page that I referred you to is not totally correct. This should help. Our tech page needs changed. The build date code is not at the top of the tag, it's at the bottom, left. Sam's is 01A, which means the first month and the A is first week of the month. The day of the week isn't indicated on the cowl tag or the door tag, but I think it's on the build sheet. You may want to check your bottom line again. 05 is May but you show 8 where there should be a letter for the week. Could it be a B instead?

As for the rest of the bottom line, that info will be on the build sheet in the top right corner. I think I found the meaning of it a couple years ago, but I've forgotten. crazy

Dan

Guest knightfan2691
I have a problem, like they say the first step is admitting you have a problem-I love cars.

LOL! I wouldn't say that's a problem wink.

Nice '71 ... where did you find that one?

WELCOME.

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |* Chicagoland Meets, 2011?

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I could feel a sweet beginning" ... Vince Gill ... 'Cinderella'

Been moving the boss from one warehouse to a new shop. Get set up, and see what comes up. This car was in the area and turned up through the grapevine, we have the build sheet now, but it is a jigsaw puzzle and hard to read. I will keep you posted, the move has taken up 4 12 hour plus days so no car progress yet. Got the boss's 67 SS396 in the garage now for new bearings in the rear end first, the the 71 will be a winter project.

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of curiousity, where did you end up finding that build sheet? I am starting the process of looking for the one in my '72 Monte and was looking for good places to start. Thanks!

Just out of curiousity, where did you end up finding that build sheet? I am starting the process of looking for the one in my '72 Monte and was looking for good places to start. Thanks!

Good places are under and behind the seats, behind the seatbacks if you have buckets and above the gas tank. Could be under the carpet but thats a tough one.

So I have the build sheet now, no doubt it is a 4 speed bench seat, but the engine is still a mystery. The build sheet is a puzzle and most of it is gone. I am going to do a frame off resto on this one and sell the bucket seat 70 that I have to help fund the project.

The car is from the L-los angelos/van nuyes(sp) plant. It has a paint code 26 26, which is Mulsane Blue, it looks like it had a vinyl roof, came with the chrome for it, but no vinyl anymore. Is there a blue vinyl roof? I was happy to find the right vin on the trans and a correct 12 bolt under it.

I have looked for build sheet under seats, in door panels, on top of gas tank, have not found it yet.

The double 26/26 indicates it never had a vinly room. If it has the chrome trim but no vinyl top consider yourself lucky that they only decided to install the chrome and never got around to installing the after market top because you may have a lot of rust issues now. The 26/26 paint code indicates the lower body and roof were the same color. If it had origionall had a vinyl top it would have had a 26 followed by a letter. The number would have indicated the lower body color and the letter would have indicated a vinyl top and depending upon what letter they used would indicate what color vinyl top it had.

Mine has a paint code of 25/10 which is Astro Blue and Classic White which is a factory two tone painted car with the lower part the blue and the 10 equaling the classic white painted room. In this case they used the same vinyl roof trim to separate the two different painted colors.... or if you are in Canada colours.

That said.... another member "Sam" "Bones" has a two tone painted car which does not have the two numbers so nothing is set in stone.

Rob