electronic ignition

metz6565

It's a points replacement system. It's NOT HEI so there is no gain in spark voltage. If it fails, where can you get replacement parts quickly?

a little info.....

Ignitor IIThe Ignitor II has many of the same great feature that the Ignitor has, but its smarter. Ignitor II units sense the coil current level and use a powerful micro controller to adjust the dwell. Variable dwell helps to maintain peak energy throughout the entire RPM range.

Features

Ignitor II systems develop up to 4 times more energy between 3000 and 5000 RPM than standard ignition systems. High RPM performance is improved when used with the Flame-Thrower II super low resistance (0.6 ohms) 45,000 volt coil.

•Adaptive dwell maintains peak energy throughout the entire RPM range, reducing misfires while improving engine performance.

•Develops on average 4 times more available energy between 3000 and 5000 RPM, and 2 times more available plug voltage.

•Peak current level is reached just prior to spark for maximum energy without the heat build-up, increasing coil and module life.

•Adjusts spark timing at higher RPMs to compensate for the inherent electronic delay.

•Senses startup and develops more energy for quicker, easier starting. Built in reverse polarity and over current protection shuts down the system, preventing component damage.

•Legal in all 50 states and Canada (C.A.R.B. E.O. #D-57-2).

•Guaranteed for 30 months.

I used one on my car, installed about 5 years ago with no issues whatsoever!

Its completely hidden under the cap,so there really isnt anything to get a pic of, unless you want to see under the cap/

I would say it is definately worth the price, I think mine was under 75 bucks

Do the points replacement systems allow the factory tachometer to function properly? Second to that, does a GM HEI (that many here use) allow the tachometer to work properly?

Do the points replacement systems allow the factory tachometer to function properly? Second to that, does a GM HEI (that many here use) allow the tachometer to work properly?
Yes and Yes

Thanks Ian! Perhaps part of the reason I have never changed from points and condenser is I didn't know if my tachometer would still work. My car runs great, like always. Last problem I had was bad spark plug wires causing a misfire under load. When checking resistance, 6 of 8 wires were too high and the coil wire was high.

Bruce

The problem with point-triggered ignitions (besides the points), is that they require a stable distributor shaft, and the spinning cam that the points rub on needs 8 equal lobes. Sounds simple enough, but after 40 years of use it's almost impossible to attain even with a rebuilt unit. The cams are worn almost round and nobody seems to replace them. This alters your ignition timing and setting the point opening or dwell to the right specs on a flat distributor cam gets the opening right, but changes the timing of how long they are closed. Both are important.

With the electronic-triggered distributors (magnetic or optical) the shaft stability or wobble is almost not a concern, and the cam that opperated the points is no longer used, so they eliminate two of the most offending problems with the original design...oh, and the points, too.

I changed mine over a few years back and drive mine year-round, pretty much daily. No issues whatsoever! Easy install. I had one on my old Jeep CJ for about 8 years and never had any issues and was confident enough with it that I had no problems running through the Rubicon with it. I just threw the old points and condenser in the glove box just in case but never needed them. Now I have the old Pertronix from my jeep in a roadside emergency kit in the trunk of my Monte. Don't think I'll ever need it, but it's a piece of mind on road trips. I have the points/condenser in the kit too, just in case. Neither takes up any room or weighs anything. Make sure to use QUALITY wires. I used Taylors.

Nygel

so the igniter II is worth the xtra money compared to the original igniter. Sounds like the igniter II is the way to go?

Yes deffinatly but make sure the coil on the car is compatable with the system you get I used an accel coul but pertronix makes one too. I got mine from Jegs the guy I talked to checked to make sure the accel coil would work with it so I didnt have to buy a new one. Had the accel on the car already. Remember to follow the instructions.