Ron Sessions, TH400 handbook

Will

SO I went to the junk yard and found a TH400 and gutted it to get the case. Now Im thinking about doing the rebuild myself. The Ron sessions book came highly recommended but I cant find a copy. Was thinking of using either a Hughes or B&M rebuild kit. Any thoughts?

Ya i jest bought a B&M renew kit and shift kit it came with easy to follow instructions that any one with basic automotive knowledge could do it with no problem

Mines a th350 i would assume that the th400 kit is some what similar

So I think Ive given up on finding the book by Ron Sessions, its retarded to have a bokk that was 20 bucks 5 months ago sell for 300 now. Any body familiar with the GM Turbo 400 rebuild DVD? I looked for that B&M kit. But alot of them state no instructions included.

I think im gonna do the B&M transkit. its only 200. My only concern in my TH400 donor case came from a 70 Olds and the bell housing isnt completely round at the top. It dips between the top 2 bolts. Any idea what that means?

It may be to late for you but if you havent been into one for a while or ever its better to lay all the parts out on the bench in order as you take them out that way they can go back in the same way. Thats how they tought us in gm school. Of corst after the 3rd or 4th time the instructor would move parts around and take parts out and not tell us untill it was back together if we didnt figure it out. Also check your repair manual some of them have a pretty good breakdown. Good luck.

I havent touched mine yet. Was planning on doing a layout like that to minimize confusion, thanks for the tip. Looks like I got the wrong case from the junkyard. Just 8 bolt holes. Guess im headed back. haha

Not sure what your timeline is on rebuilding your tranny, but Cartech books is coming out with a book titled "How to Rebuild & Modify GM Turbo Hydra-Matic 400 Transmissions" (Workbench Series) by Cliff Ruggles. It is due out June 15, 2011 and costs 15.40 0n Amazon.com

Sam brought up a good point, If it is a Olds case it probably is not going to work. GM made multi bolt pattern turbo 350s but I do not think that they did that with turbo 400s

Sorry about the BOP case. I have the book by Ron Sessions and I'm floored by the the price they have on them. They've really shot up since I bought mine. I really don't want to sell it. I'll probably need it again. I'd consider loaning it out to you though.

Dan

Found a chevy pattern TH400 for 75. Thanks for the info before I rebuilt a case with the wrong bolt pattern. that w ould pissed me off. haha

Id pay the shipping if you would let me borrow it for a week to make a photocopy. Im just trying to go into my first tranny rebuild as educated as possible