Heater core inlet hose.

502ci

Okay someone a while back mentioned they put a shut-off valve on their heater core inlet hose. I'm looking to do that as a simple fix to stop any hot water from getting to my heater core, the reason being I'm guessing my flap in the firewall is not totally moving to the cold postion so when I turn on my vents there still is some slight hot air coming through.

It never did that before and I have been putting up with it for two Summers so far. It definately moves fully into the heat position just not fully the other way. I've played with the vacuum lines but with no change.

I was looking for maybe some pictures of someone who did it. Also here's a dumb question while I'm at it which hose is the the hose that feeds the heater core...the one coming off the water pump or the one that comes out the intake? I know I could fire the car up and feel the hoses but it's just easier to ask... grin

I used a ball valve from home depot, and a fitting on each end to convert it to hose. It's very simple to do. I like the ball valves because you can see at a glance if it's set to the open or closed position: a quarter turn of the handle makes the change.

You can put the valve on either hose. The feed hose is 5/8 and you will probably wind up ordering something from the auto parts store for that... but the outlet side is 3/4 and the home improvement store has everything in stock as it is a much more common size. I think I went with a 3/4 valve and used 3/4 to 5/8 barb fittings.

Brass_Ball_Valve.jpg156932F-t.jpg

P5090024.jpgP5090025.jpg

I guess that this is what the original looks like, it must be stuck closed now as I don't feel any heat inside. Can any vacuum line be connected here? What controls the operation of the valve? I've seen various pictures on this forum where it appears that this device has been removed on many cars. Being in Arizona & never using the heater (at least in this car)I'm tempted to cap off the lines to & from the heater core/engine...Any input??

Murphy i Had the same thing but mine was mounted on the top of the inner fender and it had rubber hoes on both sides but mines a 1970 to and it looks like yours doesn't even have a vacuum line to it

Exactly, even tho I've only owned the car for 2 weeks, I don't see any loose vacuum lines??? Guess I can "T" into an existing line...

P5090024.jpgP5090025.jpg

I guess that this is what the original looks like, it must be stuck closed now as I don't feel any heat inside. Can any vacuum line be connected here? What controls the operation of the valve? I've seen various pictures on this forum where it appears that this device has been removed on many cars. Being in Arizona & never using the heater (at least in this car)I'm tempted to cap off the lines to & from the heater core/engine...Any input??

That heater control valve stops hot water from getting to the heater core when the A/C is on (only on A/C cars but not on all years/engines). The vacuum line should actually come through the firewall on the passenger side. on the firwall, you should see a grommet with 2 vacuum lines going through it. One goes to the engine and one goes to the heater control valve.

Here's a past discussion about the heater control valve.

http://www.firstgenmc.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=279856&page=1

I love that up side down air cleaner lid! The valve may be able to be forced open with a pair of pliers. I would wait till heat is needed now.

Bruce

I love that up side down air cleaner lid!

That was my very first mod I did to my Monte... shifterlol

My friend did that one night in his car (flipped the air cleaner lid over) and got a ticket with-in 60 seconds. This was back in 1971, I'm sure that police wouldn't notice these days...........

The ball valve is the least costly solution. If you want to have direct control of the valve you might want to consider a valve that can be controlled from inside the car. I went to CarQuest and looked through their book until I found PN CTC 277814. I think it used on a late 70s Plymouth. I fits on the 5/8" hose the same as the original vacuum one. I have yet to install the heater control cable so I guess that's a little project for this week.

Mike

HeaterControlValve.jpg

The ball valve is the least costly solution. If you want to have direct control of the valve you might want to consider a valve that can be controlled from inside the car.

I'm not really concerned about controlling it from inside the car, I rarely use the heat. I picked up a $10 valve from Home Depot today and will put it in tomorrow... smile