Carbs: Uncorking the genie...

TrunkMatt

Lets talk Carbs for 350's

I am at the point where the Qjet needs a rebuild. Despite all the West Coast monte people helping in person, a random mechanic, and Steven the engine guru's personal touch, we just can't get the idle set right. It sometimes runs rich, and sometimes lean... and she is a bit leaky on the throttle body. Not to mention a few Vapor Locks in hot weather.

Now, I love the Qjet feel... the "false wall" that your foot pushes through before the HUGE secondaries open and BAM!!! And my Qjet is numbers matching... so I will hold onto it, and try to rebuild it myself over the next year or so.

Until then, I think it is time to "release the genie" from the bottle and see what my engine can really do with a performance carb.

My engine already is Cam'd, has an Edelbrock intake, hooker headers, and I have a mean exhaust that makes my pants feel funny in all the right places... So, I think it is time to Carb Up.

What recommendations do ya'll have?

There is the Holley crowd and the Edelbrock crowd...

I, for one, had good experiences with Edelbrock carbs...

Ive had good success with Edelbrock on my Monte, and one on my Cutlass years ago. Had some issues with the Holley, but I wanted a bolt on and go, I didnt take the time to learn how to mess with them.

for just street, the Edelbrock would my choice, easy to tune too

actually...I would send that Qjet out and get the shafts rebushed, make sure the mail wells don't leak, put a float and a rebuild kit in it, and probably still be cheaper than buying a new carb

for just street, the Edelbrock would my choice, easy to tune too

actually...I would send that Qjet out and get the shafts rebushed, make sure the mail wells don't leak, put a float and a rebuild kit in it, and probably still be cheaper than buying a new carb

X2 ditto I love the Q-Jet and they will flow just as much as a Holley 750.

For any engine big enough to handle it, I would recommend the Holley HP series carbs. Mine has been great out of the box, bolt on and go. Fires right up all the time. My Holley 1850 and 4779 DP are the same way.

I have a Edelbrock on my 72 C-10 and don't care for it. Like was said earlier, you have your Holley crowd and your Edelbrock crowd. Guess I fall into the Holley crowd. There are alot of awesome carb makers out there building carbs on the Holley foundation. Kind-a sez it all. - Dave

I got two 750 Holley's sitting on top of a cabinet both have been on my Monte. I also have a reman q-jet that uses a hot air choke on top of the cabinet. I gave in to the fuel injection system trying to get a little more mpg out of the car. With the Holley 750 I was getting 13.5 mpg with a big block. I have seen a all stock big block with a q-jet pull 16mpg on the highway. I have worked on both Holley and Edelbrock carbs and I like how easy the Edelbrock can be worked on but you need their tuning kit if you want to go up on rod sizes. With the Holley you got to make sure the bowls are drain before taken the bowls off to change the jets.

Well, I went out and bought an Edelbrock 1406 (600 CFM with Electronic Choke)... it was only $250 at my local store that is located a few blocks away.

REASON WHY: I am just learning to do all this... I never changed a carb out before in my life... and I need to start easy. While I like the science behind the Holly and the Demon's... I am not skillfull at tuning yet.

I eventually want to rebuild my Quadrajet myself... and polish it and paint it. However, it will take me a while to do this. Until then --- I need something easy and reliable. Also the edelbrock functionality resembles that of the Quadrajet... so I want to stay in that mindset.

I actually was able to get it all installed today (everything but the electronic choke... need to wire that tomorrow when there is light)

Again, I never swapped a carb out before in my life. Followed all the directions and watched every video I could find. While I was at it I replaced my old vacuum lines and fuel line with some nice braided stuff.

Anyhow -- it fired right up... which is more than my Qjet would do.

Set the idle while manually disengaging the choke... and all seems well.

Tomorrow I need to buy the kickdown plate adapter, wire the elecronic choke, and attempt to tune it.

I am quite happy with the results thus far.

Well, I went out and bought an Edelbrock 1406 (600 CFM with Electronic Choke)...

THat is the exact carb I put on my Monte, Ive never had an issue with it, it has fired right up since day 1. At the same time I put that on, I installed a points eliminator kit, it was the single best item installed on my car, for the money to get rid of the points was a no-brainer!

Originally Posted By: 7tonemonte
Well, I went out and bought an Edelbrock 1406 (600 CFM with Electronic Choke)...

Where did you hookup your electronic choke?

Run a wire to the IGN or ACC terminal on your fuse block...

Run a wire to the IGN or ACC terminal on your fuse block...

Yeah... the wire wasn't quite long enough to get there.

It was long enough to get to the wiper-motor assembly, however, which is ignition controlled. Tested it through with my volt-meter to double-check. All systems go... and got the proper connector to tie it into the Pink wire.

To tell the truth, I dont even remember, Id have to check into that, its a keyed source, and the wire reached it? Its been a few years since I did it I dont remember. sorry Im no help there mad

I honestly can't believe how smooth this new carb runs compared to my Qjet. My car is a lot quieter at idle too... and idles smooth as can be. Runs about 20 degrees cooler.

Qjet must've been running real rich and having a lot of combustion in the headers before. Based on the bolt-ons that were on this car, I am betting the previous guy tried jetting the Qjet... we'll find out when I tear into it.

Until then, I am VERY pleased with the results of the Edelbrock... very pleased.