ran my 2 step this weekend

CrazyDavey

finally hooked up the 2 step in the Digital 6 box, should have done it sooner. I don't have a trans brake so I'm still leaving on the converter but it sure helps my reaction time (old people need help with this)....

The lowest default is 2000 so that's where it's set, my 60's was still good at 1.39 so it didn't hurt that. Had back to back .005's for quals in both classes, .008, .007, my best package was on Sunday with a .003 and a 10.372 on a 10.37 dial (.005 package).

I'm still working on more consistent staging so I had some red time but a big improvement...went to the semi's in Bracket 1....

Davey

finally hooked up the 2 step in the Digital 6 box, should have done it sooner. I don't have a trans brake so I'm still leaving on the converter but it sure helps my reaction time (old people need help with this)....

The lowest default is 2000 so that's where it's set, my 60's was still good at 1.39 so it didn't hurt that. Had back to back .005's for quals in both classes, .008, .007, my best package was on Sunday with a .003 and a 10.372 on a 10.37 dial (.005 package).

I'm still working on more consistent staging so I had some red time but a big improvement...went to the semi's in Bracket 1....

Davey

.005 Nice package!........wait........I didn't mean to say that...............lol............Good Job Davey!

Mark it allows you to set how high the motor will rev with the button activated (just like a normal rev limiter so to speak). So in my case I don't have a transbrake and I leave on the converter. My present converter flashes to 5200 so I set the rev 2 step limit to 2000 (as low as mine will go).

When I'm staged I push the button and mash the throttle, the 2 step hold the rpm's to 2000 while I'm on the footbrake. On the third amber I slide my thumb off the button and the car leaves at WOT so you get an instant converter flash...it's a blast.....adding that into my routine takes a little getting use to but it really reduces your reaction times. Now staging is more critical to keep from going red but overall way more consistent..

yeah I was kind of surprised how good it works Ian. I haven't gone to a brake because it's kind of hard on things but now that I'm in a points race I may have to go that route....it would help the reaction a tick more because I could hit the converter closer to its flash...

Thanks Dave for the explain...that sounds like a neat setup. I guess it's a good way to leave the line the same way every time. From the sounds of it, you would prefer to set the RPM a little less than 2000 to get a little better flash from the converter?

When you held the staging RPM manualy, what RPM did you target?

Really it sounds so much easier with the button.

Also I see that you have a sponsor! That decal wasn't there last time I saw the car.

I always thought politicians should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers, so you could easily recognize their corporate sponsors. LOL

harvickedwards.jpg

thanks guys...it really has added a whole new "fun" factor to the car...

Mark that was kind of the problem, not being able to get the same launch rpm's every pass so my times would vary. In the heat of competition it's hard to be watching the tach and still keep your focus on the lights so the rpm's were more seat of the pants. For max ET the car would prefer less launch rpm leaving on the converter but the trade off for consistency has more value in winning rounds. Also the reaction time thing is just unbelieveable, the difference between your foot and your thumb is amazing....

Next year I may go to a transbrake but I don't want to change in the middle of a points race, right now I'm tied for number 1.....

My racing pardner is a great guy named Dal Trubey out of Bullhead City Az, we both now have an association with Chris Straub who designed our valvetrains, he's helping us out with some parts costs... wink

Hero?? you mean like a sandwich?? I'll tell you, anyone who thinks this type of racing is just floor it and hold on hasn't really tried to do it. A lot has changed since I last did it some 40 years ago, it's been quite a learning curve...

here's a pic of my race pardner's '70 496 Chevelle. He leaves off a brake at 4000 rpm....it's a 3680 lb car on E85

314809_10150276198495764_117261225763_82....

Sounds like a blast Davey, but please excuse my ignorance on this part. You said with the button pushed it will hold your rpm's to 2000. I understand that. But you have it at WOT, so while staged you are actually running it extremely rich, correct? Do you have any issues with it bogging down with the sudden release of the hold on rpm's? Did it require re-tuning for this or is there something else I'm missing on this part?

Thanks,

Steve

thanks Tommy, it will work as long as you have a converter that is loose enough to allow you to hold the car on the footbrake. If it's a tight converter it will probably want to move the car...mine is an 8" with a 5200 stall...

Steve, it's not rich at all and no tuning change was necessary. You have the initial squirter discharge that is eaten up while waiting for the tree to drop, I release the button and wham, it just leaves with no hesitation (listen in the video). The amount of fuel being pulled from the carb is determined by the signal of the air going through the booster/venturi area. With the motor stabilized at 2000 rpm that's all the fuel/air signal it's pulling....hope that makes sense.....

Awesome as usual Davey. I may have to look into that setup as I have a Digital 6 Plus box as well. Where did you get the instructions for the setup.

I checked out some more of your videos. Very nice. Your buddy was pulling some perfect trees. - Dave

thanks Dave...it was just the instructions that came with the box....(wiring diagram)...

yeah Dal was on fire Saturday...I thought I did really good pulling back to back .005's...then he pulled 2 perfect lights and qualified number 1 in both classes (not a fluke, he does it a lot, he is running a brake though)...qualifying is a big deal, number 1 gets you 50 bonus points....

how competitive is this series? my .005 was only good for 5th in one class and 9th in the other.....geez....

I'm pretty sure it's the blue wire from the box... when it is powered it activates the 2 step......I'll let you know tomorrow when I go wire mine up. Thanks for the great idea Davey...and to think, I was just going to wire it into my lineloc and set it at 4k....just to hook it up to something lol.