chassis paint or powder coat?

jacob

paint or powder coat I like powder coats but its expensive and you have to have an oven to bake the parts in.Paint on the other hand you dont have to bake its less expensive but flakes and its not as durable as powder coats are.

You can paint your frame and have it last, especially if your just doing a nice clean driver car. I used Rust-oleum on my frame and its holding up just fine after 5 years so far. Easily touched up as well

We have several customers that deal with the automotive Paint store I work using POR 15. It is not UV resistant but on the under sides that should not be a problem. I put it on the bottom of a lawn mower deck and when I scrapped it 5 years later it still looked real good. It is kind of pricey 4.95 a quart but it goes a long way and can be brushed. When brushing it flows out pretty nicely and has a nice smooth finish to it. Wire brushing off any loose rust/dirt is a must and using there metal prep is also a very good idea. I am getting ready to pull my motor and will be painting the cross member and suspension parts with it in a couple of weeks. I also bought a pint of POR 15 Chevy Orange paint to repaint the motor while it is out. We have only had one guy complain about the POR 15 products and we still cannot figure out what went wrong.

I found out today that summit racing has uv and oil resistant chasis paints but there 10 dollars a can and 3 to 5 are needed for a chassis. but its better than a couple thousand for powder coating it. Also dose jacking the car up hurt the paint any ( craking chiping).

Thanks for the Tip Tony, I may opt for that if I can't find a decent price for the POR 15 locally. I don't mind spending the $ on the GOOD stuff, but sometimes more $ does not mean BETTER. If I was doing a body off RESTO or even a Rotisserie then I'd think of powder coating, but for prep work on your back I think either Rust-oleum or POR is the way to go for me.

That is another "Project" to add to my LIST I want to do this winter. As soon as the damn leaves are all off our tree (and the neighbours stops blowing our way) lol...

Tony did you go glossy or a satin finish on yours. Any other TIPS on area's to look out for or pay attention to. Oh and did you drop the TANK to get the underside of the trunk floor?

Thanks

Scott

I've went with the DP40,DP90 epoxy primer and chassis paint(black) .very durable stuff.Been on the car since 2005 and still looks as I just put it on.No chips when jacking up and if it did easy touch up with black enamel spray bomb.I sand blasted the frame & parts before spraying it on.I also used it on my tube running boards on my Ford Ranger.They are a little worse off because I don't wash or take to much care of the truck(ford)and since it was new in 2000,sprayed those also in 2005,now rusting out from the inside,pad tabs in top do not help matters.Anyway they are still shiny if cleaned up.I think the gallon was $100.00 for each but that was back in '05.

My grand dad used to work on cars and trucks all the time he used spray cans of chassis paint on the trucks so Ill see if I can find some Or some simillar.

has any one done a rotisory restoration how much did it cost because I found a adjustable rotisory thing. And it was only 990

dollars I know how they work and what you have to do but saying it and doing it are to diffrent things. Just wanted to know what some one who has done it would like to say.

jacob

I'm in the middle of a frame-off resto, it depends on how much work the body needs and how much are you able to do yourself, it ain't cheap, materials and parts alone will cost you thousands of dollars eek

• 2 weeks later...

Is that like sema and where did you get the rotisory thing what type and where from? I saw an adjustable one fo 1000 some thing but I found another for 900 but I like summit racings better and I have no idea how much it cost.

• 5 weeks later...

I have never been in a indoor car show whats that like and where in north carolina do you find one. I have been to car shows near a hot rod shop that had about 7 incomplete cars but other than that never an autorama type show.

• 2 weeks later...

how much would it cost toatal to do a frame off restoration, engine rebuild and paint job. I may not need to but I just wanted to ask.

• 3 weeks later...

I used master series paint and primer, it's like por-15, but it seems to be more friendly to work with. i used the gloss black, its alittle shinny, but no one looks under neath unless they are buying the car lol. www.masterseriescoatings.com , half the price of por-15 and very durable , beat on it with a hammer and it,s not flaking or chipping off on you. If you want the oem gm look, then use whatever primer and paint is used for correct oem restore. Under my car was very surfaced rusted and good amount of pitting, so i wanted something more, click on my homepage ad you can see pictures of primer and paint

• 1 month later...

I used Rust-O-Leum, may not be pricey like por-15, but depending on what you plan to do with the car, you will be fine. Im at 6 years since on mine and its still just fine. Por15 will turn white if exposed to the sun, no UV protection

I've been using a product called Chassis Saver. Similar to POR-15 but nearly as expensive. I've used it on the frames and backsides of fenders, inside doors, floors, etc. I really like to finish and it repels just about everything. I can spray it a lot easier than POR-15 also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHASSIS-SAVER-1G...ies&vxp=mtr

Mike