functional cowl induction hood project

geartech

This has been a long project and I hope to finally finish this...just thought I'd share... I'm pumped at the thought of getting this done. About 7 or 8 years ago I bought a damaged Chevelle SS hood, it was a repro, but it was the functional one. I cut out the center and welded it into a Monte Carlo hood. It took quite a bit of time to get the bottom bracing right using pieces of the Chevelle hood. And there it sat, and I ordered all the pieces to have the cowl induction doors work, and the rear trim.

Then, about 5 years ago I did the bodywork, and got the hood very close to being ready to paint. At that time, I had a shop behind my house that I worked in. Now, with no garage but the one on the house,(and no room in it to work on this) I'm taking this to a body shop this week to get finished and painted. Tomorrow,(probably) I'm going to test fit it on the car one more time, to make sure there are no alignment issues.

With any luck, the paint will match and I can start to work on the air cleaner to make it truly functional. Its something I've always wanted to do, but haven't found the time, but its time to make the time! A new year's resolution, so to speak!

Mike

mg%252520005.jpg

hood.jpg

At a car show in Zionsville IN this past Aug I seen a 1971 Impala who had the cowl induction hood. it was done right. You could not tell it had had the induction added to it. All of the bracing on the underside looked factory. The underside of the hood looked as good as the top side. Very stock looking and super nice job on it..