Smoke!!

maddmann313

I recently did an intake swap and radiator swap on my 72 it has a sbc 350/350 trans and while I'm driving a good bit of white somke is comming out of the exhaust!! Even after i turn the car off a good bit is still comming out! What causes this??

Originally Posted By: maddmann313
Well is it hurting anything? Other than smoking like crazy?

Besides sucking coolant from the cooling system, it could be contaminating/diluting your oil (not good).

Yea I would be concerned that if coolant is getting into an intake port, it could also be leaking into the crankcase which will destroy the motor.. first thing I would do is check the oil and make sure its not over full and milky.Second I would be getting a new set of intake gaskets and pulling intake to fix it

well I took the old intake off and replaced it with a edelbrock 2701 intake, and changed the oil... now it isnt smoking out of exaust, but is blowing the heater hose off of the intake and spraying coolant every where!!!! whats causing this???

It happens after it warms up. And yes the thermostat was installed correctly, and yes it was a chrome fitting

Which Thermostat? is it a fail safe or normal? Even a new one can be BAD and stick CLOSED. That would build up pressure in the system. May want to check it in a tank of boiling water with a temp probe to make sure it's working correctly. I have seen a few NEW ones fail and cause similar situation. Maybe try running it without one to see if it does this again (also what is the RAD cap your using?) If new check to see what it's rated at I think on these it's 8-10 PSI but I maybe off? Have to check the book to be sure on these without an expansion tank maybe it's higher??? But those would be the first things I'd look into for pressure build up. Heater core blocked ? easy check is hook the 2 together bypassing it if you can't tell if coolant is flowing. Not hard to do and proves if that is the problem without removing anything or tearing dash apart for a non issue.

Good luck keep us posted.

Regards

Scott

• 1 month later...

Ok, this may sound stupid but it can and has happened to even a tech I know, He put in a new rad and thermostate and the same thing happened with his 396 he started to smoke white which was the intake blew a gasket and then the same heater hose right at the intake there behind the Alt bracket.. Low and behold this Tech had stuck the new thermostate in UPSIDE Down, stopping the thermo from openeing and blowing out the hose due to back pressure and most likely the intake as well, not to say it didnt help that one rad hose was cold and the other was hot that would have been to simple to catch but it did happen. Not saying that is what is wrong here but mistakes can happen or as mentioned even new thermostates can stick shut as well...

Darren.

ditto

At that point you're still behind the thermostat, so it seems to me either a faulty stat (new doesn't always mean good) or a bad rad. cap, not letting it vent-off excess presssure. Your top rad. hose should get hot when yor engine reaches operating temp. I'd try running it without the cap on till it opens up. If it blows off then its a stat problem. If it blows after you put the cap back on its the cap. If it blows coolant out the radiator with the cap off, you changed the wrong gasket.