Power window & door lock installation instructions

Malibu 400

Hi all -

I'm often asked when I sell a power window setup if I have any pics or instructions. Someone on one of the Buick sites put together a nice page with instructions on how to do this. Although its for Buicks, the instructions are essentially the same. Here is a direct link:

Power Windows instructions

The same author also put together instructions for power door locks:

Power Door Lock instructions

Hey, Andy, I don't mean to question the "voice of experience" but I am wondering about your "including the dash" comment. Do you need to actually pull the whole dash out of the car for acess to the firewall or is it sufficient to remove the seven fasteners and pull it forward?

The article that Rainer shared also says to remove the dash, as well as, the front and rear seats and roll up the carpet edges. I've just recently purchased both power window and power door lock changeovers from other club members so I plan to install both in my 4-speed car as one project and I want to do it correctly.

I've pulled the dash forward twice already and it's no fun (at least for me). It looks like there's a whole lot of electrical and AC stuff that has to be disconnected to get the dash physically out of the car, but if that's what it really takes, I will do it.

It is only the wonderful convenience of power windows and door locks that inspires me to take on what is bound to be a challenging project, at least for me. As you would know, manual windows and door locks are a PITA when you live in Florida (unless you want to leave your windows down and doors unlocked every time you run into a store or resturant).

Thanks for sharing your views and experience.

Many thanks for sharing both of those articles, Rainer! They will make a huge difference for me!

I still need to see if I can find a photo or two of the switch placement on the door panels. I am hoping/trusting that the power window switches will go into the same positions as the current manual window cranks but I haven't a clue where the power door lock switches are located.

Does anyone have both of those options on their Monte and a photo or two of the door panels they can share?

Thanks!

Hey, Andy, I don't mean to question the "voice of experience" but I am wondering about your "including the dash" comment. Do you need to actually pull the whole dash out of the car for acess to the firewall or is it sufficient to remove the seven fasteners and pull it forward?

The article that Rainer shared also says to remove the dash, as well as, the front and rear seats and roll up the carpet edges. I've just recently purchased both power window and power door lock changeovers from other club members so I plan to install both in my 4-speed car as one project and I want to do it correctly.

I've pulled the dash forward twice already and it's no fun (at least for me). It looks like there's a whole lot of electrical and AC stuff that has to be disconnected to get the dash physically out of the car, but if that's what it really takes, I will do it.

It is only the wonderful convenience of power windows and door locks that inspires me to take on what is bound to be a challenging project, at least for me. As you would know, manual windows and door locks are a PITA when you live in Florida (unless you want to leave your windows down and doors unlocked every time you run into a store or resturant).

Thanks for sharing your views and experience.

When I did my first in 1991, I was parting a W code 72. The secondary harness for the RH door glass is harnessed with plastic clips right to the firewall. You don't have to pull the dash to install that part, but you def do to take one out.

The cool thing is the regulators bolt right in place of the manuals. All the harness bolts have divits in the body so you know where to drill.

I put electric life power windows in my Camaro 10-15 years ago. It was definitely worth it... I can't remember how hard it was to do, but you gotta have a short memory with this hobby!

I'll offer you advice / suggestion- a tweak I made on the system was to wire it so the windows would roll down or up even if the key isn't on. This is certainly not how any factory power window is set up, but I don't know how many times over the years I have been thankful to be able to operate the windows with the ignition off.

Dennis if you look behind your door panels you should find the inprint for the lock and remote mirror. Window switches cover the round holes. I have found that the door lock switch for a 70 and 71-72 are located different. I have the location at home. I'm in West Palm Beach right now. I will be home next week. Let me know if you need help with the location. I have old panels and should beable to send pictures.

Carl

This is mine before I made the change to black interior. Both were factory installed on our SS. My black panels are originals and they did not have any marks or perforations on the backside to indicate where the door lock switches go. I think the reproductions might.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL93/2036413/19473422/313138261.jpg

Dan

Thanks, Dan, that's very helpful.

That's the same color interior I had on my first new Monte back in 1970 - sure brings back memories!

• 10 years later...

Quick question, if I decide to change from manual to electric window / locks on my 72, would I need new door panels or do the switches go in the same location as the manual window crank? I just replaced my door panels but have been thinking that mayyyyybe I should have gone with electric...

The power window switches are in the same place as the manual cranks. On the back of your new door panels should be the marks where you would cut for the window switches to square out the round manual holes and the outline of where the power lock switch should go. I know they were marked out on my legendary panels. 

I converted my old Monte years ago from manual to power, no big deal as Tom said. The square switch covered up the round holes just fine.

• Like 1

The power window and power door lock switch locations were also marked on the inside of my original '70 door panels when I converted from manual systems ten years ago.  Just cut out the square (or rectangular) holes where indicated and install the switch housings in your door panel, the switches will then snap into the housings. Easy peasy ...

811.JPG

790.JPG

792.JPG

787.JPG

793.JPG

802.JPG

803.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The instructions were wonderful.  I have not found the landmarks to drill for the wiring boot that runs from the A-pillar into the door.  

MCfan'a Pictures did give me a hint for the pillar hole.

Please advise,

Brad

Still looking, will post picture if I find them once the door is off.  Firewall is stripped on both sides for paint, a whole lot of empty.

If you do not have power windows, you will need to install the flexible rubber boots that go from the door to the cowl. The holes for the boots are prelocated by dimples and a door hole saw will cut the necessary size hole for the boot

• Like 1