SPARK PLUG PROBLEMS.

Tom Carter

I am running headers on my engine and because of the low clearence I am currently running accel shorty plugs. I am not a fan of the accel plugs and was advised that there is other options. The accel plugs give me very good clearence and I haven't burned out any plug wires. The engine is from a 1972 so it has the smaller diameter plugs. (5/8 head...not 3/4).

Before they completely fowl out I that I should check options before replacement. Any advice would of coure be appreciated.

Thanks guys

I use NGK on both the SBC in the Monte and the BBC in the El Camino. They are shorter than a AC Delco but not as short as an Accel plug. That being said, I have no clearance issues. I have a couple that are close but the MSD boots show no signs of burn. I also have room for Taylor plug heat shields to fit and not touch the headers. Bottom line, I recommend the NGKs. Good plug and they clear the headers. - Dave

I was researching on-line and found a ngk ur4...was told it will work well in my 350 and is even shorter than the normal ngk plug. Is that the ngk plug you are refering too...

The fowling is more of a concern over time. I use to run rapid fire plugs (not split fire) and they would hold up and perform very well for a few seasons. The accel plugs do not seem to perform over time. The engine runs fine but that HOLY COW factor is not there.

Yes I have used them. I also use the ur5 version. I believe the ur4 is their hottest. ur5 is slightly cooler. I believe the V Power plug would be the one for you. NGK-2771 equates to the ur5. NGK-6630 equates to the ur4. Summit has both these plugs under those part numbers for $2.69 each. - Dave

• Like 1

I put the 2771 plugs yesterday...great clearence for the headers and the performance has returned. Thank you for the gap settings also. To be honest I was using the .035 so now I need to regap them but that is an easy fix.

Thanks again...You guys are alway great to talk with