Starter Problems

RickWillson

This is probably something that has already been posted, but I couldn't find it, so here goes.

I have gone thru 3 starters in 2 months!

I am not sure what is going on, at first I thought it was heat related, but the header pipes are about 5 to 6 inches away from the starter. And when I start it cold it still has problems.

1 of the starters was working fine, then all the sudden it just clicked when I tried to start the car. I think I found the problem with it, it was the 2 bolts that hold the solenoid on. 1 of them was missing and the other was loose.

You know how you get that awful sound when the bendix stops bendixing? Well one of the 3 was doing that. I took it back to the parts house and they tested it and said it was fine. I put it back on the car and it did the same thing, guess where the bolts for the other starter came from? You got it!

Anybody have any ideas? Do I need to put a ground strap directly on my starter?

Rick

Hey Rick, what was the problem with the other 2 Starters you replaced? Did you ultimately trace it to the Selenoid or was there another issue with the Starters? Are the Starters correct for your engine? Maybe a voltage issue with the Selenoid? Are your leads connected to the correct posts & grounded?

I know these are dumb questions but referring to my own experiences, I've done a few pretty dumb things that in retrospect, had I gone back thru the process, would have saved me a bunch of additional grief!!

A little more history on why you had to replace the Starter a few times might give more insight to help you find the root of the problem.

I had heat problems with my Starter when hot, I would turn the key to start it but acted like the battery was practically dead for several cranks and then would turn over and start. Finally figured out it was the Starter, replaced it and no problems since.

Doug

Hey Rick, what was the problem with the other 2 Starters you replaced? Did you ultimately trace it to the Selenoid or was there another issue with the Starters? Are the Starters correct for your engine? Maybe a voltage issue with the Selenoid? Are your leads connected to the correct posts & grounded?

I know these are dumb questions but referring to my own experiences, I've done a few pretty dumb things that in retrospect, had I gone back thru the process, would have saved me a bunch of additional grief!!

A little more history on why you had to replace the Starter a few times might give more insight to help you find the root of the problem.

I had heat problems with my Starter when hot, I would turn the key to start it but acted like the battery was practically dead for several cranks and then would turn over and start. Finally figured out it was the Starter, replaced it and no problems since.

Doug

Hi Doug,

Thanks for responding. I have always been told there are no such things as dumb questions, but then again a coworker proved me wrong:-)

So, anyway, yes, the first one acted just like that - practically dead for several cranks then starts.

Almost all of them had this clunking noise and then buzzing noise. You know, its really hard to explain sounds and noises a starter makes.

After the first one started acting up I replaced it with a rebuilt one, for a chevy 350 from the parts house. It left me stranded in a parking lot about 75 miles from home. I replaced it in the parking lot with a brand new one from Carquest. And it is the one that lost its bolts. There is still some clunking going on, I even put spacers between the starter and block just to make sure it wasnt too close.

The main wire is "00" wire coming directly from the battery. The other wire is about 12 gauge wire going to the post on the right (looking from the back of the starter, or front of the engine). No other wires.

Rick

Common problems for a Chevy with headers, I experianced this issue with my Nova SS while vacationing in Florida about 20 years ago. Not a fun job to jump the starter terminals with a screwdriver every time you stop for gas during a 1300 mile ride home. When the motor was cold it would start fine but once the heat was on it was click click click. I added this mod and never had a problem again.

http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/solenoid.htm

Well, thats one of those "things that make ya go HHMMM!" I think thats a good idea Mr. Bane! Thanks for that. It does make perfectly good sense.

You know, the "start" wire runs right down between 2 header pipes, and that would make the smaller wire get hot quicker. I shall give it a try.

Rick

Nope, I didnt get a chance to play with the Monte today. Its been raining pretty hard here for the last few days and it looks like it is gonna keep it up for a few more days.

Maybe this weekend!

Rick

I had similiar starter issues and after replacing the engine wiring, starter cable, and several starters from my local parts stores I broke down and bought a "new" starter from Jegs. Not a mini starter but a powertech (?) and have had two years of trouble free starting. I had the same trouble with AC compressors from the local places and the fix was buying a new unit vs. rebuilt. I think the quality that goes into rebuilding them for the big parts stores has gone down or something.

I had similiar starter issues and after replacing the engine wiring, starter cable, and several starters from my local parts stores I broke down and bought a "new" starter from Jegs. Not a mini starter but a powertech (?) and have had two years of trouble free starting. I had the same trouble with AC compressors from the local places and the fix was buying a new unit vs. rebuilt. I think the quality that goes into rebuilding them for the big parts stores has gone down or something.

The last and current one is a brand new one, not rebuilt. I got it from Carquest.

Rick

I hate to tell you but he is right, never by a rebuilt from some parts store. They will let you down at the worst possible time. I always pony up the extra for a new Delco or Powermaster starter or alternator when I need them.

I get most of my rebuilt stuff from NAPA and have had great luck so far. Autozone and Discount Auto stuff may come with a lifetime warranty but I get tired of changing them out all the time!!

Autozone and Discount Auto stuff may come with a lifetime warranty but I get tired of changing them out all the time!

But who's lifetime?? The last part I bought form Autozone I replaced three times in a year before I went and bought a good rebuilt one.

Where I work (part time) we just got 10 starters and they look great, like new, however we have to return 6 because of engagement problems. We have checked every starter we sell for years now and it's sad. We also sell new flex plates (part of a kit we sell to attach new transmissions to old in-line Chevy six's) and have had to return a very high percentage till the new company this year is much better.

Bruce

Thanks guys, I think I have it narrowed down.

I have installed a ford solenoid and that didnt fix it. The starter that is on it right now is a new (not rebuilt) one I got from Carquest. The problem with it is the bolts holding the solenoid were loose and one fell out. Ok, I fixed that, then the bolts holding the starter together were actually loose.

I called Carquest and they will replace it. I pick it up Thursday when I get to town.

I am also going to get a heat shield of some sort, or a wrap. Hopefully my starter issues will be over.

Thanks again,

Rick

• 2 weeks later...