new cam

monte70car

the car kinda breath fire this afternoon but I can't stand the dam popping in the exhaust at 2k for more then a minute frown I did grab this video and I think the new cam is a little quitter then the old cam. th_001-28.jpg I think the popping is lean but standing behind it, it will make you cry so I don't know. Valves were doing with turning the push rod until it couldn't turn then backed off so I don't think its a valve that's to tight. Maybe some of you engine guys can tell. The starting if slow which I believe is in the injection system, the funny noise is the fly wheel as it's missing teeth frown got a replacement in the garage.

Rob, the new gauges look real nice.

Can't help ya with the popping. However, I will say, when I first starting hearing it in your video, it sounded a little like someone was getting slapped lol . Thought maybe your dad was tired of your antics or something lol . - Dave

I gotta say I've never heard of adjusting valves that way. Most cam manufacturers recommend setting hydraulic lifters to 0 lash with the lifter on the base circle and then somewhere around 1 turn tighter, depending on the maker.

Quote:
Valves were doing with turning the push rod until it couldn't turn then backed off so I don't think its a valve that's to tight.

You say you backed them off, but how much?

Dan

Dan that method is in my Chilton book out in the garage. they have you turn the push rod until you can't turn it and then back it out a 1/8th of a turn. I know if its to lose it will chatter away. The paper work on the cam says 0 lash. I got the oil PSI issue figure out just have to pull the dash pad and double check.

you tighten the rocker nut to zero lash, then usually another half turn, most hydraulic lifters call for .030-.050 preload, half turn on a 7/16" fine thread stud usually comes in at just over .030

I always adjust them by tightening the nut until there is no more pushrod movement up & down (thats zero lash) then 1/4 turn tighter, never have had a problem.

btw, you better get it right, you want that engine to fire up as fast as possible, it doesn't take long to damage a new cam. then 2000 rpms for 15-20 minutes, no idle time (unless its a roller cam)

Nice dash, unusual sound, never heard that before. Did you just change the valvetrain or something else.

As per others on the valves, I also have never heard of that type of adjustment but each cam seems to have its own. My Comp Cam called for 0.030"+/-.010 preload achieved by tightening the nut while spinning the pushrod with finger tips until a slight resistance in the pushrod (0 lash) then turning the nut 1/2 turn more.

Hope you find the issue.

Ditto on what others have said about the need to get the revs up to break in the cam properly.

Good luck

With the popping in I did not go pass the 2000-2500 break-in for 20 minutes plus I was not getting an oil psi. I believe the route cause of the popping was due to the o2 sensor not sealing good. I have since welded the o2 sensor to the lead pipe but have not try to finish the break in today or even see if welding the of the o2 took care of the popping.

Popping / Backfiring out the rear is usually a sign of too rich as unburned fuel is combusting in the exhaust.

Popping / backfiring out Carb = Lean condition, combustion before compression.

If you got your O2 gauge hooked up right, and your tuning correct - your O2 should be reading between 12.5 (rich) and 15 (lean) at idle... probably cycling between. They say 14.7 is perfect, but at idle you want to be a bit on the rich side.

Also - throw on a vacuum gauge and tell us what the gauge reading is doing when it pops. Does it take a nose-dive?

The first thing that comes to mind with the popping is an exhaust valve adjusted too tight. It can be tough adjusting them the first time if they are new or at the very least collapsed. Pull the covers, throw a starter button on it and first make sure you didn't wipe a lobe out and the readjust them all and see if the pop dissapears.

Well I got the cam broke in this afternoon. Once I got the cam broke in I lose fuel PSI .2% last long enough to beat the clock before it die. Once it cut off the interior started to smoke, pulled the back seat out and the floor broad above the mufflers were hot. It looks to be fuel that's not burned gets in the mufflers and re-lights causing the popping.

I rest my case on my previous statement. wink

Now you just need to figure out why that much fuel is dumping... it honestly doesn't take much to make your exhaust get orange-hot - I know when I was first tuning my 383 w/ 670 Holley, I was rich and my whole exhaust system was glowing from the headers back. It only took about 4 jet sizes down to correct (about 15% change in fuel).

hopefully you didn't burn out your Wideband AFR gauge if you installed one in teh exhaust.