how high can you take a 350?

rollMC70

i have searched the forums and the web and still have not had a clear answer.it seems alot of people are using the 383 stroker kit but can you go higher than that on a 350? i could use some help from people who know more about this than i do.also can a 350 be turned in to a 400 small block or is that a different engine.

I think a decent general statement is that the shorter the stroke for a given engine design, the higher it can rev. A 400 uses a different block, so no, you can not make a 400 out of a 350 as most people would think of a standard 400 sbc. You COULD however, turn a 350 into a 400 cubic inch engine, but it would not be the same as a standard 400 sbc, it would be a different engine with coincidentally the same displacement.

Just remember, there is no replacement for displacement. If you spent equal money on a 400 small block and a 402 big block the 402 will produce more torque and hp almost every time.

Just remember, there is no replacement for displacement.

That is actually not true any more as much as we would all like to believe it.

Not that I don't love the sound and rumble of a good working V8 with headers and a mild cam at idle. But that statement simply isn't true anymore nice sentiment, but they are getting ridiculous numbers out of less than a 3 L engine now and the reliability of those is way up.

Also the difference in parts from some engines to another is way different so you have to couple what you want for what your budget it.

A Pontiac engine will cost you 2x (or more) to build up the same as a Chevy or even an Olds engine as just one example.

Also where you live and ability to get parts readily available and local (as sometimes we all can't wait for UPS/Fed Ex to deliver wink

But as I said still love the BB cars and the sound/vibrations.

Scott

Just remember, there is no replacement for displacement. If you spent equal money on a 400 small block and a 402 big block the 402 will produce more torque and hp almost every time.

Just ask Al M with his 427 small block. He went faster then my much larger big block and others I am sure.

To answer your question of how high can you take a 350?....I'd say high enuff for a good reliable street strip deal...Look at my old 350 which was only punched out 30 over to a 355ci, stock crank and rods and 2 bolt block. a good set of pistons, a proven performance cam(XE274), a great set of heads, eddie intake and prosystems carb..some people said it would be too much for the street....no way, no how....I could have driven cross country with that motor and still rip off high 12's @ the track. If thats what you have, build it if you want...if you have $$ then you could go big cubic inch like I did but get ready to spend some serious dough..my receipts are still in hiding from the 427..lol...Good luck w/whatever you build and enjoy it...just remember its all about the combonation of everything...it snowballs fast...enjoy the ride buddy!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys this is a big help.im thinking of going with a 427 big block with a 396 crank so i can spin it a bit quicker.sides that 427 sounds nasty.now i just need the money tired

427s and 396s have the same stroke 3.76 so they spin about the same. If you are going big block go for Cubic inches. You can build a 496 for the same dollars if you have to get a crank.

Montes are heavy the more torque the better!

• 3 weeks later...

If i had $5000 to spend i could get more from a 350 than either 400 or 402.... 350 parts are dirt cheap even with the good stuff compared to big block parts.

Now if i had 10k to spend... that would be a different story.,

i wouldnt be afraid to take a stock 350 to 5500rpm stock.... with good heads and a balanced bottom end with prepped rods and better pistons... 7500rpm but dont stay there for very long

• 1 month later...
427s and 396s have the same stroke 3.76 so they spin about the same. If you are going big block go for Cubic inches. You can build a 496 for the same dollars if you have to get a crank.

Montes are heavy the more torque the better!

AMEN to that. Sure you can build a big inch small block but like Al said it will not be on the cheap.

I have what I consider a medium built 383... nothing too wild, very drivable... spent about $3,500 total having a local builder build it from the ground-up using a high-nickel block and PRO Comp 64cc aluminum heads @ 10:1 compression.

Anyhow it Engine Dyno'd (not rear wheel dyno) at:

Max HP: 480.28

Max Torque: 437.44

Peak HP was at about 6,250 rpm with rolloff (HP decrease) at 6,500 rpm

I am not running a roller-cam or anything majorly expensive. Using just your usual Z06 Hotcam .488/.510 - 234/244 with hydraulic lifters. I love it as I get decent vacuum (16hg)

Anyhow - those numbers are pretty impressive without throwing any huge amount of $$$ down.

So my take on how far you can take a small block is "How much money do you have?"

Also - here is a good page of Dyno'd engine builds off Small Blocks:

http://www.ryanscarpage.50megs.com/combos1.html

They have over 100 combos that have been built / rated / dyno'd