Hood hinges

This may have been covered in the past, but...

My next step in the Monte process (once I get my axle shipped) is to blast and powder coat the core support, then hang the fenders and hood so I can fully bolt the body to the frame, and so they're not resting on the ground and roof.

Which brings me to the question of hood hinges. Is it possible to blast/powder coat/re-condition the factory ones?

I've considered just buying new ones, but the repros from OPGI have a review saying that one of them bent the hood. The genuine GM ones don't have any reviews, and they cost so much that it has me leaning towards some really trick billet hinges with hydraulic lifts. I really like the billet ones, but I was thinking of keeping with the originals for cost.

Thoughts? Also, not sure if this thread should go in this forum, or Auto Body Repair, or even Modifiers?

There used to be powdercoated hinges for sale on ebay, I bought a set a long time ago...

Also check out this guy

http://www.hoodhingerepair.com/aboutus.html

If you consider billet, look at www.eddiemotorsports.com They have the best pricing, IMHO...

Check with Leo. I have a bent hinge on my car and talked to him about getting new aftermarket or getting and original. He told me that his aftermarket have had no problems he is aware of. $75.00 for original and around $40.00 per for new aftermarket.

Nah, mine aren't bent; I just want to shine them up and make them work like new to match everything else.

That reconditioning service looks promising - thanks Andreas. My hood stayed wherever I put it when it was on there, so I think my springs are good. But new and oiled hinges will tell the truth.

Personally, I was not having a problem with my hood staying up till I lubed the hinges, now I need a prop rod! Perhaps I should toss in a hand full of sand!

The guys at hood hinge repair impressed me. They refinish the hinges and replace the ribbits with there hand machined ribbits.

They say they are better than OEM and they operate like they are supposed to.

Year One claims their hood hinge springs are good for 1964-1965 models, 1966-1967 SS models and 1970-1972 Chevelle/El Camino SS, Heavy Chevy and Monte Carlo models.

That can't be right, can it? I've always heard that the Chevelle springs aren't strong enough for the long MC hood.

Wait, nevermind:

This spring fits all other 1966-1972 models but is not the correct tension. New GM.

This spring may have a stronger tension than your original. Use caution when closing hood. Use at your own risk.

So has anyone used the Year One springs, and have an idea how they hold up on our hoods?

D.J. You can still buy from G.M. parts direct..under restoration parts..depending on the money you want to spend? page spring # 3848272 LH hood hinge 3976675 and RH hood hinge 3976676.

Rod, you're awesome. Thanks for the link! I'll definitely be getting new springs from there. As for hinges, I'm going to look into that restoration service. I'll see which works out better, price-wise.

Heck, those GM-direct ones cost less than the genuine GM ones from OPGI.

Good going! Having the old ones restored may not be a bad idea, I chose to buy new ones cause of the metal fatigue. I was pleasantly surprised, G.M. and made in the USA. Good luck with your build.

I just put a pair of repop hood hinges on my 71 and am very happy with them. I put white grease on them before installation. I know old original hinges to buckle a hood. Buy with confidence.

• 8 months later...

Ok, so I finally got around to getting a price quote from the hood hinge repair guys. Good price for what they do, but still significantly more expensive than repro hinges via OPG and springs via GM Direct ($10.10/spring).

Thoughts? I don't want to cut corners, but I don't want to blow money either. Repair route would be my original hinges blasted, re-riveted, powder coated, and new springs. Repops from OPG would be lacking powder coating but that's it.

My next choice will be a nice set of billet hinges.. eddie motor sports.

I'll tell you why. After shelling-out a huge amount on a paint job I thought I’d better make sure not to skimp on some new hinges. Well I went the brand new G.M. route and I first was happy till one of them let go on the riveted portion of the hinge. I was really pissed, thank god the damage was minimal and I escaped with hardly but a noticeable scrape. These hinges were made in the U.S.A. for god’s sake I told myself, how could they fail so soon? I managed to take the broken one and repair the portion that let go and still not confident that it will hold. So I’m going to eventually dig deep for a pair of some nice billet one’s. I’ve seen these up close and they’re nice, though the M.C. hood is awful heavy, they claim the nitrogen filled strut will have no problem supporting it. All I know is... Am I setting myself up for the next stage of disappointment. frown

I bought a set of aftermarket hinges from Leo. My right hinge (Passenger side) was bent so the back corner of the hood was about 3/8th's above the fender. I have a both of the old hinges if any body wants them.

My next choice will be a nice set of billet hinges.. eddie motor sports.

I'll tell you why. After shelling-out a huge amount on a paint job I thought I’d better make sure not to skimp on some new hinges. Well I went the brand new G.M. route and I first was happy till one of them let go on the riveted portion of the hinge. I was really pissed, thank god the damage was minimal and I escaped with hardly but a noticeable scrape. These hinges were made in the U.S.A. for god’s sake I told myself, how could they fail so soon? I managed to take the broken one and repair the portion that let go and still not confident that it will hold. So I’m going to eventually dig deep for a pair of some nice billet one’s. I’ve seen these up close and they’re nice, though the M.C. hood is awful heavy, they claim the nitrogen filled strut will have no problem supporting it. All I know is... Am I setting myself up for the next stage of disappointment. frown

I have the Eddie billet hinges on my Monte and they work great...

Smooth as silk

I have the Eddie billet hinges on my Monte and they work great...Smooth as silk

Andreas, inst your hood fiberglass? What do you think of their quality. I'm thinking of going the clear anodized, instead of the machined finished. Or maybe gloss black, what's holding me back is not being able to see the finish, their website doesn't offer much in the way of additional info or reviews from other customers. I've seen the machine finish up close looks good brand new, though will it hold its finish long? I just can't wait to install a set and do away with the hood misalignment and the inferior stock design.

Originally Posted By: MCBeast
Good GOD!! cry

I wonder if the my hinges hand rebuilt will hold better. That rivet-failing story has me nervous about any newly mass manufactured stuff.

You know DJ one never knows and hopes that stuff like that never happens, my whole issue with it, is "quality control". After seeing and examining the riveted portion in the first place and comparing it to the others it was clear that (inspector) somebody was sleeping on the job. It should have never made it passed the production control line. It was obvious when the rivet was pressed the machine operator freaking missed its target, clearly! I doubt it being automated (robot) assembly. Clearly inferior work..like 3rd world nation if you get my drift. lol G.M. my foot.. mad as for mass manufactured stuff? Man what's happened to stuff build to last, never again. Can you tell I'm pissed? lol

You know DJ one never knows and hopes that stuff like that never happens, my whole issue with it, is "quality control". After seeing and examining the riveted portion in the first place and comparing it to the others it was clear that (inspector) somebody was sleeping on the job. It should have never made it passed the production control line. It was obvious when the rivet was pressed the machine operator freaking missed its target, clearly! I doubt it being automated (robot) assembly. Clearly inferior work..like 3rd world nation if you get my drift. lol G.M. my foot.. mad as for mass manufactured stuff? Man what's happened to stuff build to last, never again. Can you tell I'm pissed? lol

Yeah, I'd be livid! mad

I'm thinking I'll pay the extra cash, and have the two or three guys at the hood hinge repair place do them. Their email was a personal response detailing the process. I don't get the impression they're a huge operation. Down the road I'd love those billet hinges, but right now I want this beast on the road ASAP.

hey Mo i did not know Tiawan was a third world nation , i have seen better quality every day from overseas suppliers , gm ford chrysler honda toyota have all had major recalls and quality issues , i worked in quality for 20 plus years humans are mistake driven creatures and quality is also cost driven billet hinges several hundred dollars , repo hinges 39.95

i have and will work with all my aftermarket suppliers to improve quality as cost and customer satisfaction is key to any business

last time i checked Tiawan has a booming free democratic society

they left communist china in i believe 1948 and have fought and struggled to remain free

is not their freedom and freedom of like countries what our troops soldiers and all of us in this country have died and lost loved ones for ????

third world

evil Leo

ps start a stamping company in the usa and i will call and place orders for hinges tomorrow

Hey Rod: Roger in Santa Rosa, Ca has the billet hinges on his Monte and they look awesome. He was at the Western Meet last year. He also has the billet trunk hinges.

163.JPG

Originally Posted By: Andreas
I have the Eddie billet hinges on my Monte and they work great...Smooth as silk

Andreas, inst your hood fiberglass? What do you think of their quality. I'm thinking of going the clear anodized, instead of the machined finished. Or maybe gloss black, what's holding me back is not being able to see the finish, their website doesn't offer much in the way of additional info or reviews from other customers. I've seen the machine finish up close looks good brand new, though will it hold its finish long? I just can't wait to install a set and do away with the hood misalignment and the inferior

Yes, I had to replace the gas rods with less strong ones for the fiberglass hood.

I have the machined ones, they lose there shiny finish but still look great...

Leo you are so quick at reading through other people statements. First get your facts together and or info, I merely suggested the work was right out of a third world nation. When did I imply or even mention that it was Taiwan, as if only inferior stuff is coming out of Taiwan. Is our south of the border neighbor a third world nation? Now you're third world evil Leo? kicking