Bumper hitch installed

MCfan

A few weeks ago Jake thoughtfully posted a link to an eBay listing of a bumper hitch for a first gen Monte (thanks again, Jake!). I had been looking for any bumper hitch that would fit my '70 SS Monte ever since I bought it last summer. Now that it lives in MN, there is frequently an opportunity to tow a light trailer with a small boat, jet ski, UTV, ATV or snow machine on it.

Bruce also posted pictures of his trailer hitch that fit his '71 Monte (thanks again, Bruce!) and it looked identical to the one in the eBay ad. I bid and paid more than I would have liked, but I bought the eBay hitch. It was in good structural shape but very poor surface condition. After sandblasting it to bare metal, I repainted it and installed it on my Monte this week.

Following are a "before" and a couple "after" photos to prove it "really happened": smile

P9073619.jpg

P9073633.jpg

P9073641.jpg

P9073646.jpg

I also made a small photo journal of this simple project if anyone else is considering adding a bumper hitch. The following link will take you to the slide show:

http://s912.photobucket.com/albums/ac329...mview=slideshow

Unfortunately, I don't know a reliable source for new or used bumper hitches that fit first gen Montes but maybe others can be found in salvage yards or on Craigslist or eBay.

Done. Thanks, Carl, for letting me know. I had not received a warning message yet and, frankly, I had no idea I had accumulated so many! I'll try to keep an eye on that in the future. blush

doesn't look to hard to fab one of those up smile

I agree, Sam. If you or anyone else wants to give it a shot, I can take measurements off of mine.

I haven't yet replaced the gas and stick welders I let go with my country place in Kansas nearly two years ago so I won't be building any hitches or much of anything else until I do. frown

My old boss has one he fabbed up to bolt into existing holes in his 442 frame. He towed a 55 Ford truck cross country with it. I'd like to have it just in case, I'm sure it would come in handy sometime. It would most likely bolt right up

I had thought about fabricating a receiver type hitch my my 72. My neighbor is a great fabricator and said he would help me do it. A really good neighbor Luke is for sure. I really do not wanting a hitch sticking out where I keep banging my shins on it.

• 3 weeks later...

I had one on my original Monte. It looked just like yours. It bolted into the trunk and onto the bumper the same as yours. I only hauled a small Sears Utility trailer. The trailer was a two wheel covered trailer and the box was about 4.5 feet by 4.5 feet square and about a foot and a half deep with a cover about 2 feet high. I wish I had a pictue of that old trailer attached to my Monte.

What color is your car. It looks very similar to my original Monte.... It was Desert Sand.

Rob

What color is your car. It looks very similar to my original Monte.... It was Desert Sand. Rob

My '70 is Autumn Gold (code 58), Rob. It is the same color as the Monte I bought new in 1970. That one had a white vinyl top, 402 auto, bench with lots of power options - wish I'd kept it. If I ever see another one for sale like it, however, I don't think I could resist buying it - special car, special memories.

Hope you are recovering from your stubborn health issues and the sticker shock over the medical bills! In situations like this it is great to have good health insurance - and really the only reason we do because it is not cheap!

I would like to find one of those hitches too Dennis. My car has the holes in the trunk already. The original owners pulled a small pop up camper with a hitch just like yours. Don't know why they took the hitch off.