71 SS454 4spd?

Joe Z

Hello - I'm Joe Zielinski from IL and I've been a "lurker" here for a number of years. I am pretty much a life long Pontiac guy but I also always liked the odd-ball cars, especially if they have a clutch pedal. My 2 old cars are a 69 Grand Prix, 428 HO, 4spd Model J (1 of 94) and a 68 Hurst/Olds (automatic - 1 of 515). I have raced both in the Pure Stock Muscle Car drags. My interest in GPs lead me to the SS454 Monte Carlos - and also the rare 402/4spd Montes.

A few weeks ago I saw some posting about a Musclecar museum in Punta Gorda, FL (Musclecar City) that supposedly has a 71 SS454 4spd Monte Carlo - triple black. I called the museum and some guy told me the car was legit. Since these seem to be a "mythical creature" I decided to e-mail the owner for more information.

I wrote many times with no response.

I then wrote the manager of the place, a woman who stated she would try to help. The response I got from her was:

Unfortunately, we do not distribute/make public our car’s documents. If there is anything else you need assistance with please let me know.

I then asked just for pictures (just of the exterior and the interior) and have not received anything back yet.

The response to me is strange; this car is on display in a museum but I cannot get any information on it.

Does anyone here know of this car? I noticed one member here (MCfan) lives part of the year in Punta Gorda.

I'm no high roller so even if this car was for sale, even for a steal, I couldn't move on it. I just want to know just what this car is. A conversion? A legit original?!?

If I am completely off-base with this posting please let me know. I am very open about my cars - my GP has the original block (but not internals!) and my H/O is one of the few 68s with its original engine.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated!

Andreas,

Thanks for the quick response and the photos!

The car looks very nice; and the fact it was converted is all I wanted to know. Strange, again, that they we're not willing to tell me that.

I had a 72 GP that was converted to 4spd. No 72s came with stick. I knew that when I bought the car and disclosed the same when I sold it. Of course, a few years later someone tried to pass the car off as original.

Thanks again! cool

Hi, Joe,

Sounds like you have a couple of very special Pontiacs - can you share any photos? We're pretty broad minded here - even look at a Chevelle now and then! grin

Yes, I know the car - drool over it every time I tour the Muscle Car City Museum. I have an annual pass and even live a half a mile from it all winter every year. laugh

No, it is not a factory built '71 454 SS 4-speed. I have visited with one of Rick Treworgy's (owner of all cars in Muscle Car City Museum) right hand guys and he admits that it is a conversion. Whoever you spoke to either didn't know or was blowing smoke up your tailpipe.

Anyone who heads down the west coast of Florida should stop and see the museum, if possible. Rick has about 210 muscle cars (99% GM) on the floor of a former Wal-Mart store that he has converted into a museum, auto memorbilia retail store, restaurant, speed shop and consignment show room. Three years ago he had another 80 cars in storage - probably many more by now. He has buyers shopping for him all over the country. He has lots of rare and unusual models - all are in outstanding condition.

One of his long-time staff guys told me Rick has never sold one of his cars off the floor although he has had many, many offers. His daughter, April, runs and manages the place for him.

Here's a couple of the pictures I have taken:

P1190221.jpg

P1190222.jpg

P1190225.jpg

P1190227.jpg

Rick and April also host a free car show and auto swap meet every month in their HUGE parking lot. I try to hit most of them during the winter with my 402 4-speed.

P2190142.jpg

Hello - I'm Joe Zielinski from IL and I've been a "lurker" here for a number of years. I am pretty much a life long Pontiac guy but I also always liked the odd-ball cars, especially if they have a clutch pedal. My 2 old cars are a 69 Grand Prix, 428 HO, 4spd Model J (1 of 94) and a 68 Hurst/Olds (automatic - 1 of 515). I have raced both in the Pure Stock Muscle Car drags. My interest in GPs lead me to the SS454 Monte Carlos - and also the rare 402/4spd Montes.

Hey Joe,

Small world! Looks like us GP guys have similar interests in these Monte Carlo's. I'm looking for a triple black '71 4-speed to keep the GP company. Let me know when you find one for me! grin

Missed this one at Mecum last spring...

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail...&startRow=1

Grant

Originally Posted By: CrazyDavey
seriously...blue plug wires??? nothing like that factory look.... wink

Whats wrong with Blue Wires? smile

Millcreek-20120512-00134.jpg

not on a "restored" car.....unless they're translucent so you can see the shinny silver wire inside.... wink

How about NEON GREEN???? anyone know where I can find a Nice set of neon green with blinking leds lining each wire??

ditto

With PINK Spark Plugs and Hello Kitty Floor Mats.