gm crate engines

ILUVMYMONTE

well, i heard these are garbage any opinions ill be in the market for a 454 soon sooooooooooooo if this was your chance to buy a new engine and had a 8k budget for a motor what route would you go(doesnt nesssarily have to be a 454)also my 402 was the orginal to the car are these desirable?

well. haha. definately not stock my last motor was supposed to be around 650-700 hp i want big torque. and definately will be doing the suspension. im not sure what they call these cars but i would say around same hp/torque. 410 gears. hotchkis suspension. the works. gonna do the march perf. pulleys etc.fast and flashy i guess you would call it.

I don't know were you heard they are garbage.You are pretty well covered with a 2 year/50K warrenty.The big savings with a crate motor is all the small stuff.Those parts will nickel and dime you to death.I would save the 402 and go with something like this.

http://paceperformance.com/i-5146255-gmp...hed-finish.html

I currently have a GM ZZ454 in my 70 El Camino and love it. I have more then enough HP and torque for my needs. They are supposed to put out 440 HP but an article in Chevy Performance a few years back says that dyno'ed it at just over 500 HP.

This past summer I had the distributor gear go bad and I took it back to the GM dealer who I ordered it from and they completely rebuild the motor for free, parts and labor covered. Should it have happened in the first place? Maybe not. But it did and I was glad I had the GM warranty. When I purchased my engine they offered a 3-year, 100,000 mile warranty and no one came close to that anywhere else.

In summary, I love the engine and am very pleased with the warranty.

I also have a GM zz350 in my daily driver for the past 4 years and it has given me zero problems. Basically plug and play.

If you have any other questions let me know any maybe I can answer them.

Good luck!!

Mike

With an $8k budget I would have my Engine Builder put me together a real nice BBC, probably a 496-540 CI Motor with everything set up to my Car and what I'm looking to accomplish.

I wouldn't say crate motors are junk, but they are all built the same and do not take into consideration what application they are going into.

Crate motors from GM, this is a company who builds tons of engines that last for 2-300000 miles every day. I would spend my money with them before I take a chance on a local shop who builds 2-3 of these big inch motors a year at best.

If I had a budget of $8k for an engine, this one would go into my Monte:

19259233LH.jpg

LS376/525HP

They also have a carburated version, if you don't want to mess with EFI

thanks for all the replys, i didnt take in consideration of the warranty with gm. andreas, would there be aloit of modifying involved in putting that engine in a monte? and do the firewalls differ from a monte that had originally a big block to those that have a small block?

Just my thoughts.

If my choice, I would go with an engine builder. Yes, GM builds lots of engines, but they are mass produced. The knowledge, care and precision of a quality engine shop provides a better engine. I think the exception would be the really high end GM engines which are hand assembled by experienced techs.

Here's my experience with a GM crate engine. My original engine in the 1971 had a valve head pop-off and basically annihilate the engine. Bought the GM crate 350-290hp engine. Brand new stuff. Well, the heads did not last as the valve seals were JUNK. It blew blue smoke first on fire-up and then under acceleration. Just spent the winter doing work on the Monte including putting on Eddy RPM heads.

Was at a car show this year and a fella had a beautiful 50's Chevy truck with the same engine. Guess what? It blew smoke.

Was just at Borowski Race Engines where my son had some heads redone. Guess what they had on a pallet? A new create engine that the owner had them dyno. After break-in on the second pull one of the lifters failed. Brand new engine. Now the owner has got to deal with that.

Just an FYI. Not pushing this builder (he sells internationally) but here's a link www.borowskirace.com

I don't know about the lower end 350's (I think most of them come out of Mexico) but the ZZ big blocks are hand assembled by a third party vendor. Whether it's GM or private builder there is always the chance of a failure so do your homework. If you had a motor that really made 650-700 hp that's a pretty serious piece. From personal experience with a ZZ502 it took aftermarket heads, intake, ignition and a custom hyd roller to get 654 hp @ 5700....

If you want a crate motor I would lean towards GM simply because of the warranty issues. If you decide to go with something else then do some research on a reputable local builder and talk to them until you feel comfortable..

As far as your LS question, no they are not a direct drop in...there is motor mount work involved along with some other items...not difficult but not direct....

ditto on a local shop. 8k budget can get you a lot of motor. just make sure the shop has a good reputation and will stand behind their work.

I'm building a 511bbc @ 650hp. with a budget of 3-4k. so you can get a serious motor for that kind of dough.

thanh

to hint back on the ls3, im addicted to this motor from what ive read about it....its a really bad [you said a naughty!] motor and you can turbo it stock wich ive always dreamed of a twin turbo muscle. i would obviously buy the motor first and turbo later has anyone seen a twin turbo monte?

to hint back on the ls3, im addicted to this motor from what ive read about it....its a really bad [you said a naughty!] motor and you can turbo it stock wich ive always dreamed of a twin turbo muscle. i would obviously buy the motor first and turbo later has anyone seen a twin turbo monte?

Check out the protouring.com website. Swapping a LS engine into a classic musle car is now a standard procedure and many companies make kits to make this easy nowadays...

Also, there are plenty of twin turbo LS engines out there, just check out Nelson Racing Engines for work-of-art engines for many $$$$$ smile

Plenty of room in the engine compartment of a Monte to do this....

Hi Dana, I'm of a different frame of mind. I would search out a date correct LS5 CPD suffix code 3963512 block and #820 heads and have an authentic "date correct" LS5 built the way you wish it.

It wouldn't be considered "numbers matching" but it would be the next best thing IMO and as authentic as you can get. There's lots of "numbers matching" cars out there that, other than the block and heads, have very few original parts on them. I wouldn't get hung up on the numbers matching thing but it would be nice to have your SS as authentic as possible IMO.

Cheers,

Larry

thanks for the reply larry im definately going to get an ls5. when i posted this i didnt even know about the ss leo had i was instead getting a 70 from him, but when he told me about the ss thats the route im going for sure. although it wont be numbers matching have a date correct block is the next best thing imo too.