rear sway bar!

Hi- I have some questions about a rear sway bar. I just scored a new(ish) factory style set up: boxed lower arms, upper arms (which I need because some doofus cut them to fit an exhaust before I got the car). The biggest reason is because I love the look.

Has anyone added a rear sway bar to their car? Is there anything I should be aware of? I'm not into going around corners fast, but will this improve the overall ride? The car hooks hard now with drag radials and a bone stock suspension... any chance this will mess that up?

It should work just fine.

I added a rear stock anti sway bar to my 71 back in 71. I didn't do it correctly (no boxed lower arms) just drilled and bolted the bar to just the INSIDE (not through both so I didn't crush it) with NO issues for over 20 years. I pulled the rear end out, to paint it, and had my arms boxed and re-installed the bar. I don't remember the handling improving any but it still had bias belted tires back then.

Bruce

Can't help you with the drag racing/traction aspects, but adding a rear bar was one of the first things I did to my car. Your car will handle better with less body roll - you will definitely notice the difference.

One of the best mods I've made to the car, IMO.

The downside is that making the rear stiffer tends to make the front understeer. It's not dangerous, but the front may feel more "mushy" than before.

The ideal situation is to get a balanced pair of front & rear bars.

For general driving, adding a rear bar where none was before will make a big difference.

I added a rear sway bar and upgraded the front with a 1.25 sway bar of a 80 Formula Firebird to my 73 Cutlass and I can say it was one of the best upgrades I done to the car along with the Jeep GC steering box. I will pobably do the same to my Monte when I get around to driving it.

Leo

Thanks guys! Another question- I just realized I have a polyurethane bushing kit for the control arms. (Sitting in a crate in my crawl space for years.) The arms already have stock rubber bushings in them- do i dare swap in the polyurethanes while I have it all apart?

I still have my new bar and boxed arms to put on. Will have to wait until spring when I take the car out of storage again. I also have the Jeep box but I'm missing the ragjoint which strangly seems hard to find in canada. I can find cheap ones online but the reviews say they fall apart! So I am still on the hunt.

I got my rag joint at Rock Auto I think it cost me about $75 and you could get one from Lee Mfg where you buy the little inserts that go in the box I would assume he has good rag joints as building boxes is his business.

Leo

I got my rag joint at Rock Auto I think it cost me about $75 and you could get one from Lee Mfg where you buy the little inserts that go in the box I would assume he has good rag joints as building boxes is his business.

Leo

Last time I called Lee they told me they didn't have any and their manufacturer was on back order. They did say they wanted to start producing them inhouse but I havent seen anything to that effect yet. Do you have the part number for the one you purchased from rock auto? I may just go that route then.

Mike the part number is 31011 by Dorman.

Scott they use a 93-98 Jeep Grand Cherokee steering box as an up grade. It has a less turn radious and gives a stiffer feel,I know my Cutlass when you drove it your hand was always moving the wheel because of play but when I upgraded it handled like a newer car it was the best thing I did to the car.

Here is a link that sums it up.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334534

Leo

HUMM I never thought AMC made a good gear box especially for a Jeep. Back in the day 1986-1994 when I was turning wrenches for a living they were all junk and had lots of play and wandered all over the road. Maybe after they are rebuilt they are much better

Looks great!

I got mine from fellow member Dave.. (72MC) cool (Love this club) It made a heck of a difference on the back roads around here, no more skipping into the opposing lane on turns when you hit a bump. I dont have a car that handles like a slot car, but didnt expect it! It made a very nice change in the handling of the car, plus, like you said, it looks cool! I got a weld in support kit from him also, I would go that route if I were you just for the support

Tony- you're right- I wasn't really expecting to get much improvement in the ride, but it is definitely noticeable. I would have bolted a bar in a long time ago if I knew I could do it without boxed arms. A bar is cheap!

I have the boxed arms and new uppers, but not the time to change them right now. Actually, I'm getting ready to go to Cecil County next Saturday- hope the weather holds. I'll take pic of the uppers- amazing someone cut them so the tailpipes would clear.