Rear drums are impossible!

Murphy

I'm moving on with my next project which is brakes/suspension...I can't get the rear drums off! One of them wiggles a bit & the other doesn't. Was looking for the usual access hole to move the adjusters but their isn't one. Looks like it's a knockout that's rusted inplace, is there a rubber cover for the knockout if I get it removed? If the adjusters don't move the shoes far enuf, then what? A BFH???

A "BFH" is good start! grin I've always wondered why they even used a plug for the access hole? It's not like it keeps dust out of there, or water? Though they do make a plug for it. I have used a couple of methods for stubborn drums! Make sure there is no tension on E-brake cable and try slowly rotating drum and use dead blow hammer to force drum outward, if that doesn't work, in some (riveted shoes) cases where shoes are interlocked because of excessive wear, I cut the hold-down spring pins and force them out. They can be tricky specially when there isn't access to the adjusting wheel to back them off. crazy Good luck!! People here will have other suggestions I'm sure! Let's see what comes about?

I'm assuming the drum isn't rusted / frozen to the axle. On my original 71 drums the adjustment hole is in the drum with a rubber plug. If your drum has the outline of a adjustment hole, knock it out, then back off the adjustment. Most times the star wheel will only turn one way (TIGHTEN) and you will need to stick in a small screwdriver to release the "lock" and spin the star wheel loose, try removing the drum. Good luck.

Bruce

If you cant get the adjuster to move you may have to pry the drum off with a screw drive or small pry bar. Even if you have to break the hold down hardware its not a big deal youll probably want to replace it anyhow. Just be careful not to bend up the backing plate.

• 4 weeks later...

We have SUCCESS! Right side was no problem in removing drum, replacing parts & reassembly. And of course, cleaning & repainting. The leftside was another story. It took about 4hrs of prying, wiggling, pounding, cussing, more prying etc to get the drum off. Once the drum popped loose, you can see why I had so much trouble..... DSCF1553.jpg

Notice the blue spring is just hanging out, the capped spring that holds the shoe in place just fell out on the floor along with about a cup full of dust & dirt.

DSCF1554.jpg

Installed new drums & shoes, lower control arms also. Sway bar should be in later this week. Whew, glad this job is done! Surprisingly, the brakes never squeeked or squealed having the shoe basically loose in there.

Quite possible, the ridge on the drum was definately holding her in. It was close to an eigth of an inch. Really deep. The cap that goes over the spring was almost rusted thru. I would have thought that I would have heard the spring pop loose tho.... anyway, the job is done!

DSCF1551_zps589b4043.jpg

Once the drum came off & I could see all the dust & debris, I put on a mask to clean everything up. I need to get a pic uploaded with the new lower control arms, their NICE!

I see the problem!! Your work area is much too neat! The tools are neatly lined up rather than scattered all over the place! Also I done see a big hammer anyplace in view.

I agree with Scott on the drum ridge. Congrats on the final result, looks great with all the new parts.

Rob