Full gauge dash upgrade

MCfan

Unfortunately, when I search for "dimmable leds" in the "Car LED bulb" section, nothing can be found. There ARE "dimmable" 12V LED clusters in the "Boat, RV and Other Lighting" section but none of them appears small enough (nor do they have the correct bases) to be used in our Monte dashes. Maybe they are listed in a section I'm not finding.

Has anyone actually purchased and installed "dimmable" LEDs as replacements for standard bulbs in their original Monte dash? If so, what was your source, please?

• 1 month later...

My plan is to have "Tachman" replace my amp gauge with a volt gauge, ditch the clock and put a large fuel gauge in its place then add an oil pressure gauge where the small fuel gauge was. The headache I'm sure will be the electrical. Not sure what to do about the PCB.

If you remove the clock there is a Tachometer that will fit right in the same spot. The ones I have seen run around $139.00 plus S/H. That is my plan but maybe not this year.

If you remove the clock there is a Tachometer that will fit right in the same spot. The ones I have seen run around $139.00 plus S/H. That is my plan but maybe not this year.

Thanks but I have the original tach in my stock cluster. I'm gutting the large fuel gauge from my parts car to go in the clock spot.

• 3 months later...

Good Afternoon MCfan. Nice 4 spd! Can you post the information for me to buy the same kit. I have a 70 that is getting bucket seats, console shifter and while I have everything out, DASH conversion

Thanks

Tony

Sure, Tony, here's the link to exactly what I bought: Full Gauge Conversion from Sonnie24

NOTE: The kit shown is for a '71/'72 Monte because it has white markings and numerals. All you have to do is tell Sonnie that you want the '70 (Green markings and numerals) version. It is the same price and you order this same kit but just specify the green gauges.

Unless he has recently updated the instructions for this kit, I have to warn you that they are mighty cryptic. I have created a much more detailed and complete set of instructions with the help of Darren Bull (LS5), another FGMCC member. It's all in a Word file that I will send to your email address listed in your profile. I also did a small photo journal of my conversion that you can access directly through a link on the first post of this thread.

Good luck with your project - I am very pleased with my conversion.

Hey Tony, Dennis is right about the kit on Ebay. Find the listing for 71/72 tach and gauge cluster and then click on the "Ask Seller a Question" and then ask Mike to list the 1970 kit he has for the same price and he will reply and post it for you and then hit the buy it now price listed. It is the closest repo dash cluster on the market. I have installed 5 of these clusters in total from Mike (sonnie24) inc ones from The Parts Place Inc and those one fail to compare with Mikes. Correct in every way inc wiring color and gauge of wire.. He has the kits made up and ready to go with no back orders at all and i have bought lots from mike from gauges to a complete 4 spd conversion kit and so on..

Good luck

Darren.

PS. Dennis's wiring diagramme is bang on for correct and easy to read instruction as well...

Hey Dennis, forgot to show you the gauges once I got them in the monte back in February.... way better having the full gauges and everything works just nice. instead of doing the LED's I swapped out the 194's that have 2-3 candles brightness I went with a 588 which still fits in the factory socket and is 9-10 candles.. so brighter and no heat or burning problems and dim as well....

Darren.

photo4_zpsd773ae55.jpg

• 2 months later...