differential bushing removal tips

hi guys,

the protour build is moving right along. I'm about to do the frame notch.

Before I do, I need all the new suspension and coilovers installed so the diff is in it's final rest place.

are there any tips or tricks to getting the control arm bushings out of the differential?

Thanks

Im sure theres several ways to do it, heres how i did mine. due to the "shock" absorbing characterists of the rubber, I took about a 3/8" to 1/2" (cant remember) drill bit to drill out the rubber & remove the entire center of bushing. Then using a airhammer with a wide blunt tip start hitting it around the perimeter making sure to move it around 360`. Its ok if it starts mushrooming over, as long is it does it towards the inside. Just keep hammering around til it pops out. Takes awhile but gets the job done. The uppers are a bit tricky, you may need a long wide tipped blunt airhammer bit.

the two bushings in the differential are easy, a air chisel is easiest, I also use a chisel to collapse the bushing shell towards center where the bolt hole is. this shrinks the outer diameter of the bushing making it easier to drive it out

• 4 weeks later...

thanks for the tips...just needed a larger hammer apparantly.

Don't feel like doing an update thread, so I'll just jack my own.

suspension sitting here waiting for the frame to finish drying after getting painted over the weekend

needs to not be -20 for some of this work.

8B71F242-1A2C-46CE-B776-215FD0C14752-768

58AEF1AD-E3E9-4BD3-A718-C44A9E5DA859-209

C6AAD8B2-D646-4608-A9EE-EF98E0DF2A97-209

I REALLY need a reassembly guide......are the factory cdroms worth having?

• 3 weeks later...

That really looks great, massive freakin tread there. Im assuming you will be modifying the wheel houses too? Changed the rear shock angle? Hard to see some of it, the pics are really dark.

sorry for the dark pics. pretty much just flung the garage door open and snapped a couple with my phone.

I'm trying to have the full mechanical part of the car done first before I get to messing with the body portion of the program, but yes, the car will have a mini tub.

the wheel housings will only need to be a couple inches wider. one of the huge perks of working on a full sized car.

next up, dropping in the 6.0