Need new headers

Mike G

Okay! I am probable going to get an ear full on this one. smile

So I am looking to do new headers but I want to take the clean looking approach to this.

Has anyone done a set of the Block Hugger Headers with a SBC? I think because of the front cross frame being so far forward they may work.

Thanks,

SUM-G9060-SS.jpg

Mike why the block huggers? with the placement of the motor long tube headers will work plus make the collector flange easy to get to. For a few dollars more long tube would be the way to go. I pointy these out to a friend for his 71 Monte HED-68298.jpg fit was good and it has thick flanges, the collector area is a ball and socket so no need to replace a gasket if it blows

1971 CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO Hedman Elite Hedders 68298

+1 on the long tube headers they do fit and easier to get at to mount or remove (if needed). I have the Mr Gasket (older) which were Black Jack headers I think really, very similar to the ones shown in the picture.

They fit well and do have a thicker flange.

With everything IN on the car on the drivers side it is easier to get them IN up from the bottom and from the top on the passenger side due to the starter, at least mine are.

FWIW.

Scott

what about shorty headers? or 3/4 headers

better ground clearance

I would have thought so too but mine don't stick down too far and are tucked up pretty well whomever put them on did a decent job so they don't drag on driveways or inclines. But I have seen what your talking about if you don't design and mount the back parts right.

Scott

Mike,

I am thinking that you may have an issue with the cross member interfering with the front tubes of the block huggers. What are the goals with block huggers I know some guys don't like to see the long tube headers hanging down. Shorties are an option, Sanderson has some different stuff linky

Hey Mike,

I have a set of long headres in it now and they are up against the the proportioning valve, hang a little low, excess heat on the starter and a few other small issues. They are probably not the right ones for the car to begin with. Just looking for something a little simpler and cleaner looking.

Mike,

I am thinking that you may have an issue with the cross member interfering with the front tubes of the block huggers. What are the goals with block huggers I know some guys don't like to see the long tube headers hanging down. Shorties are an option, Sanderson has some different stuff linky

I have the Sanderson BB3's on mine. 1 7/8 primaries. Nice quality and they ceramic coat inside and out. Even put them through polisher twice for me. I also had them build them without Sanderson nameplate. Passenger side beautiful ..... Drivers side dumps toward oil pan. Takes some pipe work to get them back in line with rest of exhaust while leaving room for oil filter removal.. Otherwise I like them.

Honestly, I wish drivers side could be made a mirror image of passenger side. That would be my preference.

I have been running the Flowtech Afterburner SB headers for the past 8 years with no problems. The collector does not hang lower than the deep, cast aluminum trans pan I am running. They have a clean appearance and provide ample space to reach the spark plugs.

Summit link: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/big-49100flt/overview/

I have been running the Flowtech Afterburner SB headers for the past 8 years with no problems. The collector does not hang lower than the deep, cast aluminum trans pan I am running. They have a clean appearance and provide ample space to reach the spark plugs.

I have had the Flowtech Afterburners since 2002 and have no issues with them. Clearance is good for anything you need to do and I just had them ceramic coated to match my intake so they look pretty good.

Originally Posted By: gjmike72

I have had the Flowtech Afterburners since 2002 and have no issues with them. Clearance is good for anything you need to do and I just had them ceramic coated to match my intake so they look pretty good.

Also have the Flowtech Afterburners. Fit, with good clearance on everything, is the best I have seen for headers. For the performance minded person, they are not the best. Considered a mid length header with performance above that of manifolds but not as good as full length headers. I have two sets, both coated at Jet-Hot. Right now I'm working on fitment issues on a set of Hedman 1 & 3/4 inch primaries meant for a Chevelle that I want coated and put on my Monte's stroker. Re-positioning two tubes.

Anyway, back to the issue. If the car is just for good ole street driven fun, the Flowtech Afterburners work very well. Just consider this, my opinion is from 8-10 year old product quality. Holley/Flowtech has gone through some changes in 8-10 years. - Dave

I was looking at the following Sanderson headers.

CC10AP is a swept back, shorty header with the collectors exiting along the angle of the firewall that fits 1964 and Up Chevelle and El Camino applications using the small block Chevy engine. This header is for angle plug cylinder head.

They did not list them specifically for the Monte so I think i will need to call them and double check.

CC10AP_600.jpg

WOW! The price of headers has went up since I last looked at them several years ago. I have been looking for some 2 1/8 long tube headers for a BBC and they are not cheep.

I thought headers for a Chevelle would fit a Monte Carlo or are some of them different?

WOW! The price of headers has went up since I last looked at them several years ago. I have been looking for some 2 1/8 long tube headers for a BBC and they are not cheep.

I thought headers for a Chevelle would fit a Monte Carlo or are some of them different?

The places you will have an issue with chevelle headers on a Monte are the firewall(not as common) and the lower interior control arm perch(very common). Some companies may be able to make headers that fit both just as well but in the past the two places I have listed have been the problem areas. The Afterburners I listed earlier are an example of headers the fit both the chevelle, el camino, and monte equally well but again, these are not full length and aren't the best for performance. - Dave

some of the chevelle header will not!!! fit a monte...the 2" hooker super comps are one of them

Ditto on the Hooker Super Comps not fitting...I tried, lucky I did not scratch them and was able to return them. Drivers side's one tube flat out was hitting the control arm, not even close to fitting...if I remember correctly half the tube would have to be smashed to get it on...not an option.