VIN on transmission

ejw71

Discovered today last nine alphanumerics of VIN are stamped on transmission of my 71. I may the last 1st Gen owner to become aware of this info. Last nine of VIN are: 71K197166. However, on the trans is stampted: 11K197166. The 71 is correct due to year of car. The first digit on trans could be a 7 but it sure looks like a 1 and it's shape is the same as the second 1. Probably just an error or my inability to discern numbers. This car isn't an SS, but thought it's important enough to post here. What this means to me in reference to SS454s is if the motor has been exchanged, no build sheet and no pro-tech-no plate then the trans stamped VIN portion would document the car as a real SS454. Wonder if rear axle has the same portion of the VIN. Ed

Ed,

I also just dicovered this on the tranny of my 71 SS454 a couple of weeks back. I also have an extra 1 stamped on mine. It has a 1 and then the vin that also starts with one. The funny thing is that it is the exact same on the engine. Has one extra 1 stamped on it. I have checked out the build sheet, and the raised casting #'s on the back of the block. Everything down to the water pump is correctly stamped and dated. Not sure what this extra 1 means?

Vaughn

Vaughn, Is the "extra 1" in place of a '7' as mine is? I also going to check on the engine block

stamped number to determine simularity. And will do the same on my 71SS454.

Pete, In your research on rear axles have you come across the production sequence number portion of the VIN? If such is available our club

would be able to go a long way in answering the

never-ending question of: "Is it a real one". Ed

As with some other GM parts, the first "1" you're seeing is probably representative of the brand, i.e. "Chevrolet", followed by the "1" for the last digit of the year, and so on. Other GM brands, such as Pontiac, Buick, Olds, etc, would have different first digits.

Also, if you find a partial VIN on the rear axle, it would be a first. Never been found there in all the research I've done.

Yeah , as Nate said the first digit in the stampings for the serial number on the engine and trans is 1 for Chev 2 for Pontiac 3 for Olds 4 for Buick and 6 for Cadillac.

These do change sometimes but are generally correct.

Hope this helps

ed,

gm did not stamp a vin on the rear end only the trans and engine and on the firewall of the body got that stamping besides the vin plate on the cowl.

the protecto plate was the only document to show what....

brand of carb "bay city, holly, rocheste or carter", radio, a/c, pwr steering, power brakes, disc brakes, pwr window, engine, trans, rear end, and vin of vehicle

alex

Yep, the "1" in question refers to Chevrolet. Thanks fellas. Pete, Sorry I got you and Alex mixed up. Guess you both look alike. Since you probably have direct contact with Leo, ask him about VIN numbers on frame. Doubt it, as would have been informed of it by now in the hundred discussions converning real vs fake SS454s.

Alex, long time no see. I expect to be at Easten meet see ya then. If I understand your first sentence. The VIN (or part of it) will located in three places: 1. on the metal tab viewable thru driver side of windshield, 2. on block pad behind alternator and 3. on transmission. Is that correct? Ed

Great post Ed,

As always I have learned something new from this great club. It all makes sense now. I will not speak for Leo, but I have had a discussion with him before about Vin #'s on the frame and if I remember correctly, he said no Vin #'s stamped on the frames.

Vaughn

As with Chevelles, the partial VIN or CON VIN can generally be found stamped on the top of the frame behind the driver's side rear wheel where the rail runs under the trunk. You can't see it unless the body is off the frame. It has also been found on the passenger side of some Atlanta-built cars. Again, this is generally the case, but not always the case. Some cars simply don't have them (there was one assembly plant in particular reputed to have left off this location when stamping CON VINs), but they will have the CON VIN someplace else. Don't confuse this with the frame part number usually stamped on the driver's side rear frame rail on the outside -- which is visible without removing the body.

Note, this is the CON VIN or confidential VIN. So it's a partial VIN. The CON VIN will look like this up to 1968: 7F123456 (example). They did not always include the GM division, and they never stamped the complete VIN, just a derivative. They omitted the model number as anyone could tell what that was from the body plate and other ident sources. The goal was to ID the specific car not the generic model.

From 1969 on up, it looks like this: 10F123456 (example)

1 - GM Division (1,2,3,4,5,6,7)

0 - Model Year

F - Assembly Plant for car

123456 - Last 6 digits of the cars VIN

The CON VIN's were stamped in hidden areas. The reason for this is to hide them from people so they cannot be easily found and altered. They were placed there for tracking of stolen vehicles and parts to be used by law enforcement. Crooks could alter the VIN on the A pillar or dash but they often were not aware of the confidential vehicle indentication number derivatives stamped onto the engine, trans, frame, or body.

~ Nate

Wouldn't the book by Alan Colvin "Chevrolet By The Numbers" answer all these questions? It is supposed to be a very comprehensive reference. Claims you are able to identify all parts by any number that may have been stamped on them as being either oem or aftermarket as well as identify the part as being original to a particular vehicle.

I have been thinking about buying one just for this purpose.

eb_8.JPG

ed,

there is also a "con vin" behind the a/c box on the firewall. you have to remove the a/c box in order to see it.

as for the chevy by the numbers book it is a great reference but it does not cover everything on a car. but is still worth the money.

If all goes well ed i should be able to make it to the meet. see ya there if not i will let ya know.

Alex

Alex

each assembly plant was its own world and still is today , they can build the same car or sister models in different plants using the same parts and completly different assemble process ,that being said anything goes , i have parted several hundred montes impalas chevelles and other gm products over the last 30 years, i have seen several different locations for vin numbers the impala has a vin under the sill plate drivers side , to this point i have not seen a vin on any monte frame but i have on chevelles ???

as ozzy would say everyone is looking for answers dont ask me i dont know

Leo

Nate, Thanks, first time learning about CON VIN.

Alex, Thanks didn't know about behind the A/C box numbers. Ed

Anytime, Ed. I should've mentioned the other locations of CON VINs, but I limited my response because someone had specifically mentioned the partial VIN on the frame rail. As Alex stated, the CON VIN can also be found behind the A/C box on the firewall as well as behind the blower motor. So, two locations on the firewall. Again, this isn't always the case -- it mostly depends on the assembly plant.

As Leo can attest, we found two CON VINs on the firewall of my Baltimore-built '70 during restoration.

Behind the blower motor. Great info. I'm gonna go check a '71 parts car right now. I'm crazy about documentation. Well, sex too. Ed