71ss purchace need questions answered

lastss

I purchased a 71 ss with matching # & built sheet, but I not sure if the air cleaner is correct as it has dual inlets. & were due you find out what color paints are correct for full undercarrage detailing. I brought it on e-bay & it's being shipped to me from tx next week ebay item #1873308074. I paid a company to inspect it before payment. Also has protecto plate & 1st owner bill of sale. built in KS & sold in alabama. Many Thank's Bob Lastss. lastss@hotmail.com

------------------

My friend bought one new in 71 and it only had one inlet to the air cleaner. He had A/C and the left snorkel would have hit the compressor. Don't know about an SS with out A/C but I doubt GM would have spent the extra money.

Bruce

------------------

Original Owner since May 14 1971 image004.jpg

My '71 SS454 has one inlet on air cleaner.

Larry's probably correct. EBay description of car states when engine was rebuilt it was changed to LS-6 specs. However, that's Kruse International Auction explaing seller statements. Ed

------------------

'71 Black 406/700R4

'71 Sandalwood SS454

'71 project 2" chop/Green/346LS1/4L60E/12bolt

Thank's for the reply's, I have the built sheet & it say's z20 &spec say air suspention code c67,strato buckets.etc.Litle hard to read in spot only a scan. I have a copy in my hard drive anyone tell me how to post it? updated to ls6 but only inside parts?

Congratulations...

that is one staight looking car.

That air cleaner, from what I've seen would not be the correct one for a 70 ls-6 chevelle either. The ls-6 dual snorkel cleaners I've seen have smaller openings at the end of the snorkels. the one on your car looks similar to the type i've seen on some mid 70's corvettes and or camaro's

The dual snorkel for the 70 ls-6 came on the ls-6 cars which did not have the cowl induction flap.( the ones with a flap got the regular cowl induction air cleaner)

hope this helps...good luck with the car too!

------------------

Dave C.

70 402 4spd Monte Carlo

71 SS 454 Monte Carlo

72 350 Monte Carlo

69 427 Corvette roadster

86 Grand National

96 Impala SS

Talked to owner last night & looks like it has 71 vette intake & air cleaner don't know about carb. New question, anyone have correct intake carb & air cleaner for sale? my direct e-mail is lastss@hotmail.com, goes after the fact I have the last 88 ss built 22k miles & top flight show winner.Also radio delete option with super saver pkg. Thank's Bob

Bob,

I believe also that there were two different air cleaners used on first generation Monte Carlos. The one that should be on the SS454s has a wide, rectangular-shaped snorkel inlet. I believe that this air cleaner was also used on the 402 (Turbo-Jet 400) cars, as well. I think that the air cleaner used on small block cars had a smaller, round-shaped snorkel inlet.

It sounds like it's got the correct sticker on it, though, for a '71 454.

Hope this helps,

Dave

------------------

I'm Just Enjoyin' That Great S-S-Sensation; Diggin' My First G-G-Generation.

Nice car!! I was looking at this one a year ago or so. Guy wouldn't budge on price. Kept going back and forth on color combo. I liked it.... but wasn't sure if others would feel the same should I ever decide to sell.

Owner was a very nice guy that worked at a paper place if I remember correctly. Wife told him he had too many toys..."Sound familiar ?" He said car had been rebuilt at a friends dealership to LS6 standards. Nice car and good luck with it. It is a beauty !!

402 air cleaners had the same shape snorkle as the small block air cleaners.

454's had the wide opening at the end.

------------------

Dave C.

70 402 4spd Monte Carlo

71 SS 454 Monte Carlo

72 350 Monte Carlo

69 427 Corvette roadster

86 Grand National

96 Impala SS

Thank's for all the help, He has been real nice guy. Car is on it's way in an enclosed trailer. had a lot of paperwork & copy of past 2 owner's title's. He was in Lumber business, now un-employed. Is their any book's to help with resto? as far as all the other thing's are correct & color of paint's for detailing?. Was the underbody painted same color as car or undercoated black? Etc. Thank's Bob

http://www.firstgenmc.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000500.html I wonder if Ian is going to sell his, and whether or not they are the same.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lastss:

Talked to owner last night & looks like it has 71 vette intake & air cleaner don't know about carb. New question, anyone have correct intake carb & air cleaner for sale? my direct e-mail is lastss@hotmail.com, goes after the fact I have the last 88 ss built 22k miles & top flight show winner.Also radio delete option with super saver pkg. Thank's Bob</font>

------------------

My 1970 Monte Restore Pages

graphic_org_pub.jpg

logo_org_pub.gifLLOYD@FIRSTGENERATIONMONTECARLO.COM logo_org_pub.gif

Every First Gen(BB or SB)Iv'e ever seen has had a single snorkle base.My SS had a single round snorkle base that I misplaced(better than saying I think I threw it away).

------------------

'88 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - Daily driver K&N/Accel/MSD/Dynomax

'70 SS454/.030,Holley 750/Compcams 280M,Rollertips,rhoads/Mallory Unitlite,Hyfire,Promaster coil/ Blackjack Alumacoat/ps/pw/console/tach/rear defrost/AC/fiber optics - sad she has to go

'92 Capri XR2 Turbo

'89 Grand Am LE