Stance

Hello all,

I have been on the site for a while and seen a lot of nice cars and helpful tips. I need some help getting the stance I want. I want to bring the rearend up without air shocks. I want it to look mean but not obnoxious(obnoxious is relative of course, to each his own). I have heard talk of El Camino springs, air bags and both. If your car sits like that, pictures and how you got it to sit that way would be great. Thanks.

I have seen a few that have cut the front spring one turn to lower it and raise the rear. I don't recommend that but has been done and does the desired effect.

The other you mentioned is stiffer springs or HELPER spring in the rear to get just a bit more height.

The other way to do it is to use block to raise the shackle in the rear. They sell them for this purpose. I would not go more then maybe 1 or 1 1/2 inches so it does not change the geometry much of the drive shaft to strain the universals. Similar to what JEEP and 4x4 guys have done but at a much LESS drastic increase.

To high and looks like the [censored] is way up in the air!!! not a good look for these cars IMO.

Hope that helps others will be along to suggest other solutions possibly or links to where you can get these.

Regards

Scott

I finally put in my Airlift bags in the rear springs and couldn't be happier! Less than 100 bucks, and running about 15 lbs seems to be good for me now, it stiffened up the ride nicely without sacrificing any comfort. Check Jegs or Summit air Lift 1000 part #69744

I also like the airlift. You can adjust as much as you want, and keep the stance even with heavy stuff in the trunk.

Bobby,

Springs and spacers can get you a different height in the rear, but if you want adjustability of height under various loads and conditions, I also suggest you consider the Air Lift system. It was one of the first things I installed on my first '70 three years ago and it has been just the ticket for me.

They will work just fine with low pressure (lower height, softer ride) or up to the maximum of 30 psi (higher rear, firmer ride). I originally ran 25 psi with 245/60s all around but when I went to 275/60s on the rear I decided it was too much rake so I lowered it to 15 psi and now have a modest rake with bit softer ride.

Here's an early photo at 25 psi (note the distance between the wheel opening trim and the wheel trim ring):

P1010357T.jpg

Here's a more recent photo at 15 psi and taller rear tires:

Step9999.jpg

The rake is about the same but the springs are lower to compensate for the taller 28" tire. I haven't tried running 30 psi but I am sure it would provide another inch or two of lift in the rear. The air bag system is very easy to install and a great value at under $100.

PB024256.jpg

I terminated the air lines individually with Shrader valves mounted in the rear crossmember just behind the license plate so it is easy to check and adjust the air pressure. That also allows different pressures on each side if I need to compensate for uneven side-to-side loads or traction.

PB024251.jpg

PB024249.jpg

I do have air shocks on mine but have a mininal ammount of air in them, just the standard Moog cargo coil springs (cc501) im thinking about putting the 1 inch spacers on the rear to get just a little more without adding more air to the shocks.

IMG_0720.jpg

Hate air shocks. Don't haul much but to get the rake look I put 1 1/2 " stools under the rear springs. Worked out great and very in-expensive. JMO

I have the same air bags that Dennis has only I run 10bs on mine.

The ride is real soft and hardly any bouncing. for the front I bought some "big block" springs from summit. I 'm happy with the stance but I'm sure it will change in a few years. lower, lower.

Bobby, I tried 1 1/2 inch puck risers in my '71 Monte and thought it was a bit too high for me. I ended up using Chevelle convertible rear springs and air shocks. If you are interested in the set of pucks send me a PM and you can have them for the price of shipping.

PIC00024.jpg

Mike

They make the hockey pucks above in a variety of sizes or they also make adjustible ones like these. http://www.budzter.com/spacers.html

just remember

If you want 1" higher in rear its a 1:1 ratio so 1" spacer needed.

Height adj in front is 2:1. 1" height only 1/2". Spacer needed.

Be careful cutting coils. Only remove a 1/4 cool at a time and check height.

There was a super chevy article that spanned a few issues with a 70 Monte. I believe they ended up cutting 3/4 coil for a ____ drop. I'll fill in blank when I get home and check article.

Dan