My "New" 1971 Monte Carlo

Well, some of you know I owned a '72 Monte Carlo for quite some time. It was half finished, and I loved it, but when adding up all the time and money it still needed to finish in a way I liked, it became overwhelming. So I sold it for a fair price and purchased a '71 Monte that's already finished.

This thing, as you can see from the pics, went through a full restoration/upgrade.

Just a small sampling of what this car features.

-600+ HP 468 Big Block Chevy with Brodix heads on pump gas

-700R4 Overdrive Transmission built for 720 max HP

-4:11 Posi 12 bolt rear end

-Full fiberglass front end, hood, and shaved firewalls dropping hundreds of pounds (~3200lb weight)

-Dual Electronic Exhaust cutouts

-Custom built dual cold air intake

-2-tone gloss black/matte black paint job

-Hotchkis suspension, ladder bars, and polyurethane bushings

-and so much more!

Initial plans are to possibly get some slicks and take it to the track, but first I have to learn how to properly drive it. I already added rear seatbelts (kids) and will be adding an electric push fan for added cooling since it gets a little temperamental in the stop and go traffic.

I wanted a vehicle I could take to car shows, cruise with the family in, and something that was just badazz, but I couldn't get away from the first generation Monte Carlo body style so this fit the bill nicely. I'll update this thread as things come up such as dyno tune, track times, updated photos, etc.

In the meantime, enjoy these pics of the build I nabbed from the previous owner. TORC Motorsports built this car and that's who I bought it from. They are located at 88th and L street in Omaha, Nebraska and they do awesome work.

http://s108.photobucket.com/user/joeleodee/library/Monte?sort=2&page=1

Congratulations, Joel! Your new Monte is definitely cool and wicked! Wow, 600 HP on pump gas - nice! The photos show an amazing transformation - lots of sweat and coin already spent there!

Hope you and your family enjoy it to the fullest.

Thanks guys.

I'm a modder so I'll make little changes here and there, but obviously, the major work is done for me. I have spent a lot if time working on my vehicles so I wanted something I could have and enjoy now. The shop that built it is totally backing it if anything major goes wrong because I'm using it to help promote their business. In essence, it's one if their sponsored vehicles.

I feel a little weird having someone else's build since I've always built my own, but practically speaking, this was the better option. Besides, people do it all the time. I'll enjoy this thing and probably never sell it.

I hope it has some air filters somewhere.

That is an interesting paint job. The combo of flat and gloss black works well...it reminds me of the old 'cuda kind of paint scheme. I don't know if I'd like it in another color, but the black looks nice.

Here's 'cuda:

340-cuda-bill-dutting.jpg

Yeah, I actually like the paint scheme and I agree that another color might not look as sharp.

But yes, there are 2 air filters. It's a custom built cold air intake. The filters are located in each of the front fender wells and shielded from the engine compartment heat. Really a cool setup in theory. Instead of the traditional setups where the air filters suck air from the hot engine bay, this allows the use of the cooler outside air for the engine to breathe. How effective is it in practice? Who knows, but it's one feature that sure has people raising eyebrows. wink

That wasn't the only thing that dropped the weight, but it was the most significant. Other things contributed including shaved firewalls eliminating the heater box, hoses, etc. Obviously, no AC. The suspension and steering components are lighter than stock and the big block sports aluminum heads so that makes a difference. There's several other small things that really add up as well that I've noticed.

I will warn you, though. I've talked at length about this build and the biggest pain they went through was getting those fiberglass fenders hung straight. They said they spent 2 weeks on that before they were happy with it. Good luck.

VERY NICE. Look forward to seeing it up close sometime as I am in the Omaha area as well. Actually drove past it a time or two as I worked a few blocks away from their shop. Hope you have plenty of time to get it out before the snow flies!

Excellent. I'm registered for the show in West Point this Sunday, but rain looks threatening so depending when the rain is, there's another show in Omaha I might roll to. It'd be nice to see some other fgmcs. I'm starting to see more of them around lately.

Btw, That's quite the stable you have there.

Would like to catch Westpoint but if the weather holds I have 4 baseball games for the kids. Pretty much year around baseball it seems like. I must say NewTimer your family has impeccable taste in cars as well! My pickup is due for another restoration as it has been parked for close to 15 years and the Galaxie needs complete rebuilding as it was stolen and stripped when I finally located it. Completely bummed but thankful I found it. Going to do the Monte first. I could crank these cars out years ago but 3 kids in sports put the kibosh to that!

http://www.firstgenmc.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=5594&title=all-in-the-family&cat=500

http://www.firstgenmc.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=5591&title=70-ss-project&cat=500

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a couple pics taken here locally as well as the one in my sig. The few shows I've been to, it has received literally hundreds of compliments. It gathers a crowd like no other vehicle at the shows, and that's not my words. No awards, though. I've noticed stock restoration vehicles from the muscle car era get the trophies, but that's okay. I like it and my family likes it (even though my wife is scared of it wink ).

1235142_4872153662126_128843043_n_zps6b8

994901_4872153782129_754491095_n_zps8c01