What are you guys using on your 350?

Rock

I just ordered some engine parts for my Monte, I ordered a Holly double pumper 650cfm carb and dominator manifold and some nice aluminium valve covers. Is a 650 CFM to big?

I have a an Elderblock 600CFM on it now and dont care for it much.

Now I am not an engine guy in the least so if you guys can help me out with some of this stuff it would be appreciated.

I am basically looking to beautify under the hood a little with some nicer looking parts. Not looking to win any races here. My big concern is tuning the Holly, Is it a tough carb to tune for the flat lands of MN and what kind of jets should I be using?

Ditto on the double pumper, not necessary. No need for constant secondaries unless you are racing, but that is my opinion. I run a Carter 625 with a mild 350. (bored .060, mild cam, headers, intake) Works well and haven't made a single adjustment since I installed in in 2001 and about 60K miles.

Glen check out your other Post on the steering wheel hub…

Darren.

And I am running a 625 Carter on my 350 as well.

A double pumper is not the way to go on a mild cruiser. What cam, gear, and converter are you running? If you are dead set on a Holley check out a vacuum secondary carb. The eddy and carter carbs are a good choice for a cruiser.

My 2005 350/290 horse crate motor has an Elderbrock 1406 on it and it runs great. I had a Holley and could not get the car to run worth a hoot. Took the 1406 out of the box bolted it on and change the fuel line to fit the carb and it ran like a champ.

Mild build 350 for me too, 600 cfm 4160 Holley Vac secondaries

proper tuning required changing spring in vac secondary to slow down secondary opening rate, up 2 sizes on accelerator pump discharge nozzle and up 2 sizes on main jets (from factory defaults)

Here is a couple of helpful links

http://www.holley.com/applications/CarburetorSelector/CarbSelection.asp

http://www.carburetion.com/Calc.asp

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/misc/tech_center/install/tech_disc_cfm.shtml

Where did you order from? I am sure you can send your Holley back for either a Carter (my choice) or Edelbrock (The more popular choice) with vacuum secondaries.

My buddy went with a street demon carb on his camaro and he loves it! I'm running the orig Quadra jet and have never had any problems with it and honestly I do great on gas unless I'm always mashing on it but I highly Recommend finding a Q-jet, Best carb I've ever delt with and you can by reproduced ones from jegs or summit.

Usual you can get Summit to work with you on changing your order. I know most of the parts stores in my area sells the same item that Summit or Jegs does but they have to order it. On our 355 with 390hp we have a single plane intake with a 750 Holley on it.

I ordered through Summit. I already told them I was refusing the order. They were not supposed to ship it till Monday.

Are they working with you to change your order then?

Originally Posted By: Rock
I ordered through Summit. I already told them I was refusing the order. They were not supposed to ship it till Monday.

Are they working with you to change your order then?

Been exchanging emails with them. Only thing I really need to change is the carb and fuel rail. The rest I can use. I think.....can I use a Holly manifold with an edelbrock carb? Pretty sure it should work but I better ask the experts first.

Actually if they are similar to Jegs, they should have experts in their customer service department who can assist you in matching the correct parts to the application. I don't use Summit often so I cant say for sure what kind of expertise they have on hand. Of course the FGMCC members are experts as well as I am sure you can find many different set-ups on our Montes which all work great and the owners are happy with.