pulling frame

monte0

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the last section of floor done.

WP_20140418_18_55_51_Pro_zps28f6d587.jpg

Only issue I can't address is inside the frame supports and braces. There's got to be a way to get inside them.

Plus I need to seam seal all the seams now. What do you guys suggest to use to seam seal?

ditto to Sam! Also, watch what you seal with that, some of those are designed to let water out, you don't want to trap it in areas it can't escape! I'm sure there are some black sealers out there that won't look out of place, I used a product from Lord, , Fusor, I'm pretty sure they have a black color, it's around $15 a tube, and IMO it's the best stuff out there. Lots of places online have it, just make sure you get the seam sealer, they have a lot of products for tons of applications

Yea I forgot to seam seal it before hand and I had already started painting so I just continued on. I ended up buying some 3m pro seam sealer that actually worked very well to sticking to the epoxy paint I used. Think I should be ok since the paint I used is a epoxy type not your regular type paint.

Plus yea I did watch what seams I sealed too. I didn't seal any seams that were on the braces or any seams that let water out going down. I did seal the quarter seams completely but made sure the drain was completely open and free so nothing backs up. Here's what I did to give you guys a idea. I did paint the seam sealer after to hide the color since the 3m stuff says it can be painted.

WP_20140419_17_57_21_Pro_zps1383a6fe.jpg

WP_20140419_17_57_46_Pro_zps1679e2f3.jpg

And here is the frame almost in and done last night. Sorry about the dirt that got on my camera lens. Seems to happen every time I go under the car, lol. Going to lower it the rest of the way when I have a few extra hands available to be on the safe side.

WP_20140421_19_21_37_Pro_zps613d7fad.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, frames back on all the way.

WP_20140506_20_00_37_Pro_zps5b07d3b6.jpg

WP_20140506_20_00_46_Pro_zpsa49c7cd9.jpg

I do have a question though. The body seems to be a little back on the frame (not perfectly centered in the bolt holes)

I'm guessing it would be critical but figured I'd ask if it really is since it's a pain moving it on jack stands smile

Well the holes are centered enough to put the bolts through, just not perfectly centered in holes. I'm going to have to get the rear axle in before I try to move the car anymore since it's only sitting on jack stands. Every time I try to move the car it want's to slide off the jacks frown

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm going to pull the frame on my 70, should be fun smirk

Going to have some work done to it to strengthen the rear control arm mounts and have it sandblasted/ painted while it's out. I'm going to try to do it without pulling thew nose off by building a wooden structure to hold the hose. Anyone ever do this or try this?

This is how I went about it in '07 when I freshened up the chassis on the '71 SS. I set the body down on a spare frame on dollies.

Picture001.jpg

redcar507013.jpg

Picture002.jpg

redcar507016.jpg

redcar507010.jpg

Yea if I had a lift it would have been waaaay easier then the way I did it. I did that years ago when I replaced the body mounts once.

• 4 weeks later...

Sam mine was cracked at the steering box welded that then it cracked behind the lower control arm.another question do you have a rear sway bar and did cause the frame to crack.

I had the crack before I installed the rear sway bar

my '71 has been in a crash before, you can see the damage on the right front frame horn, that's why I have another frame grin

• 3 weeks later...

Well rear axle is back in...now to tackle the front as I can afford it

WP_20140524_12_28_25_Pro_zps49e42c19.jpg

WP_20140627_20_30_13_Pro_zps9aa8fac6.jpg

Don't mind the wheel wells, I haven't got to redoing them yet wink

WP_20140627_20_30_59_Pro_zps75402ecf.jpg

WP_20140627_21_46_52_Pro_zps8cf6892b.jpg