Roof paint

pocobill7t1

I would paint it a gloss black. The satin/semi gloss would be my 2nd choice and flat no way as most flat black is not UV resistant. The higher the gloss for the most part the longer it last IMHO.

Gloss would be the way to go for longevity, especially with black.

Question, why get rid of the vinyl? If you paint the roof correctly and reinstall the top, it's going to last a long long time. If you think about it, these cars were used as daily drivers in all sorts of weather for 40+ years! they weren't prepped all that great from the factory, used inferior products, and were basically abused. With the amount of salt and rain your car will most likely see, worst case scenario you'll get 50-60 years.

If you just don't like vinyl the black would be the route I'd go. Unless your interior isn't black, I'd love to see my car with a tan top to match the interior, not sure whit would work on your color though

Hey guys, this post reminded me of a conversation I had with a guy several weeks ago. Since that Plasti-dip product now comes in various colors, this guy was telling me that he was going to try various colors on his Chevelle top to help him decide which color to use as he needed to replace his vinyl top. Since the product can be removed fairly easily he was looking at a few different color combinations to match his interior........

I did some ss logos for a friend on his 86 monte ss using the plastidip and they look great and have lasted through this horrific winter we have been having here in NY. the car is kept in the street and is a daily drive. Ide give it a shot with the plastidip and if you dont like it you can just take it off easily enough.

My Body man agrees with 7tone....around here, you can redo vinyl top for @ $750.... costs more to prep and finish for paint. But Gloss if you must paint.

jim