200r4 tans

420ponies

I just got a hold of a 200r4. Now what to do? I have been wanting to do this swap for some time now. trans is rebuilt and ready to install. details are sketchy, all I know it is rebuilt with converter,$800 into it. needs dipstick tube,detent cable.

Congrats,

What do you want to do with it? Rebuild? Use as-is? If you have 420 HP in your engine, you might want to consider a performance rebuild, these trannies were build at best for the Buick GNs Turbo 6 with 250-300 HP...

Dipsticks and Detent Cabels (called TV Cable) are readily available. While you have the pan off to change the detent cable, you might want to check for debris and change the filter. Also consider a deep aluminum pan for better cooling, I think the one I bought was made by Hughes Performance...

Exact TV Cable adjustment is absolutely crtical for this tranny, or it will fail within w few miles!! Take your time with that, there is tons of info how to do it right on the net...

Exact TV Cable adjustment is absolutely crtical for this tranny, or it will fail within w few miles!! Take your time with that, there is tons of info how to do it right on the net...

ditto

using a pressure gauge, is the best way from what I have read about the 700 & 200

You can get a correct TV cable and brackets form BowTie OverDrives. I had problems with my 700R4 shifting very hard and after installing that kit and having the setup adjusted by a tranny guy it works flawlessly.

You say the trans is rebuilt but the details are sketchy? Who rebuilt it? Any warrantee information provided? What kind of converter, lock up or not, does it have? Hope it all works out for you. The install is fairly straightforward and you will like the drive-ability of the vehicle once it is all set up. Though the TV cable on mine came with very good adjustment instructions I still took it to my trans guy for the final tweaking, just to be sure.

I'm thinking about a 200 4R for my Monte. My TH350 is numbers matching so I'll keep it, but the car was stored for several years and the seals are gone. Monte needs his litter box changed more often than my cat's. Do you more experienced Monteholics have a preference 200 4R or 700?

I'm thinking about a 200 4R for my Monte. My TH350 is numbers matching so I'll keep it, but the car was stored for several years and the seals are gone. Monte needs his litter box changed more often than my cat's. Do you more experienced Monteholics have a preference 200 4R or 700?

I think the consensus is that in STOCK condition, the 700 is the stronger tranny. Both 200 and 700 have performance parts available and can be build to withstand monster engines, though...

Originally Posted By: Patrick Sheean

I think the consensus is that in STOCK condition, the 700 is the stronger tranny. Both 200 and 700 have performance parts available and can be build to withstand monster engines, though...

Thanks Andreas, I will be using a built up 200, stock is no good. So the overdrive is a good thing?

The 2004r still has a lower tirst gear than a T400 so it will help get our heavier cars going. They just dont have that really deep first gear like a 700. But if your not racing and are looking for a more even gear split like a T400 the 2004r is a good choice. The only reason the 700's got so popular was the low first gear which in high torque applications causes second gear to fail because being hit so hard. Aftermarket stuff has been made for the 700's for a long time and there is a lot out there. Only within the past 3-4 yrs has aftermarket parts been made to strengthen the 2004r's which were the weaker of the two in stock form.

Now that they can be built properly and fit well as mentioned above I think they are the better choice as long as you are under 500hp.

Once over 500hp you must look at a built Ford AOD with converted GM bellhousing. Or adding a gear vendors overdrive behind your existing tranny.

Dan

Thanks Andreas, I will be using a built up 200, stock is no good. So the overdrive is a good thing?

You will LOVE the overdrive gearing. I sure do in my Monte!!

Some day I may make this switch but I was told when I do, I should also change the rear gear from the stock 2.73:1 to something higher, numerically. There are sites where you can plug in the numbers and it tells you what RPM and MPH you will have after the change. (You probably know his but some may not)

Bruce

Either choice, the 700 or 200, would likely struggle in OD with stock gearing. If I was gonna do it again I would go with the 3.55's over the 3.73's because I don't race (much) and the 3.55's would be better on gas for long hauls, which is what I like to do.

The requirements are different for each of us but I don't believe gas prices will ever go down (much) so economy + good performance, with mostly around town driving some highway, is the goal for me. If your racing, whole different story! IMO, gearing and overdrive is the best way to get a car to perform better on the road.

Bruce

Thanks guys for the input.I am going to limp along with the turbo350 I have in it right now 'til this fall then it will be changed over to the 200r4.I have 3:42 gears in it right now, 29" tall tire at 70mph running just under 3,000 rpm(2,950).I plan on a billet servo and a Hughes converter to finish it off.It has the good 410 stamped case from what I can see on it.I'll get some more info. on it too.I do plan on taking it to the track just to see what it can do.I am planning track time with the turbo 350 also. Larry,I have contacted Bowtie Overdrives.A lotta info. from them on doing the changeover.Thanks again for your input on this,good to get overall opinions.

Congrats on scoring a 200R. I have a quick? Will any 200R work on our Monte's? or does it have to come out a specific year and model?