valve cover gaskets

Andy Gargagliano

I agree on the rubber gaskets...over the years I have taken the valve covers off many times and reinstalled them with zero leaks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

If using oem steel valve covers make sure the flanges are are flat and the bolt holes are not pulled inward. I have the felpro blue rubber with the steel reinforcement. It also has metal inserts where the bolts go through so you can't over torque them. 

David

I like to put a VERY THIN coat of gasket sealer on both sides of any gasket I install ,usually permatex  or similar. never had a problem with leaks.and let them sit for a while to cure.

Torque on the original valve cover bolts is 3-Ft Lbs.

As others mentioned, do not over-tighten the bolts because it will cause the valve cover to flex and allow for a leak.

rob

As much as I am huge fan of the Felpro Blue rubber gaskets, especially the one piece oil pan gaskets, I still perfer the old fashion rubber/cork valve cover gaskets. 

However, the ones I would get were still made by Felpro but they were DOUBLE the thickness compared to the original style.  I would use Edelbrock's Gasketcinch (sp) on the mating surface between the valve cover and the gasket.  The contact between head and the gasket I would leave dry.  I would normally go a couple years before replacing.  I never had a leaking problem and could remove and reinstall valve covers with ease as the gasket would stay attached to the valve cover thanks to the Gasketcinch. 

Another trick I used since the gaskets were thicker would be to over torque to about 5 ft lbs(all based on feel) and I would use small lock washers. 

Disclosures:  This is just my two cents worth :grin::cool:  - Dave