QuadGTI

Took my Monte to a shop to check out the AC

Done a pressure test and it held good for 30 min

Pumped R134 into system

After running car the air was mild colder

Low side showed 60

It just would not blow ice cold at all

Are we missing something?

I converted to R134 a few weeks back but didn't get very cool air. WE had proper pressures (no leaks) but didn't get much cool air, revacuated the system, replaced the expansion valve ($18), recharged and she now cools GREAT, even in Phoenix!

NAPA, Looks like an exact replacement......

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catalo...7300_0140429775

We vacuumed down the system for about an hour, replaced the valve, pulled a vacuum again and let it sit for 20min to see if we would loose vacuum (leaking) it did not, then recharged to 80% of R12 volume and she works great!

The old valve was stuck open, IMO.

3 12oz cans of 134 is what is in my car now. Blowed ice cold for a week, then nothing. Took it back and I had a leaky valve stem on the line going to the Expansion valve, sucked it back out, leak test, vacuum, etc. Put in dye, replaced valve, charged, Boom Ice Again. Fingers crossed for no more leaks!

I have new Reciever/Drier, Expansion Valve, POA Valve Update Kit, original condenser and Evaporator core and all hoses, original style long compressor, don't know if was new or a rebuilt one, it was on a truck that I got my 454 engine out of.

Finally found that black insulator tar-like stuff. I had to buy a 25' roll but this stuff is excellent. Tar-like tape, 1/8" thick and about 2.5" wide, cut it into strips and with wet fingers you can mold it beautifully. If anyone needs to replace their insulation on the expansion valve bulb, this is the stuff!

P7180215_zpsf52718a6.jpg

P7180214_zps0232533e.jpg

Finally found that black insulator tar-like stuff. I had to buy a 25' roll but this stuff is excellent. Tar-like tape, 1/8" thick and about 2.5" wide, cut it into strips and with wet fingers you can mold it beautifully. If anyone needs to replace their insulation on the expansion valve bulb, this is the stuff!

Where did you get that from? Inquiring minds want to know.

NAPA, when I got the expansion valve there, I asked about this tar-tape and the guy couldn't find anything in the inventory, then Mel (the owner) over heard what I was looking for and he said he had a box of dumdum tape that he ordered for a guy a few yrs ago and was never picked up. Mel went to the back & after a few minutes he found it but said I had to buy the roll (25') It was waxpaper covering the tar. On the NAPA receipt, it shows "misc tape" This is a very old NAPA location so who knows what other stuff is stashed in there warehouse........

I used maybe 1.5' to fix up the 2 tubes on the evaporator box but I can see other places to use it (under the dash possibly) If you want a few feet, no problem!

If he called it dum dum I'd say it's just windshield butyl tape, sounds like it from your description too. If so just ask for it at most parts stores, I have some in my refrigerator lol keeps it fresh! Also,used it around all trim screws and bolts for tail lights etc.....

I remember using similar stuff back in the day made by 3M, although in the electrical trade there was a similar product made by a company "permabond" where we purchased our duct seal. The Dum Dum..name priceless, right up there with 200mph tape we used in the military. lol thanks for sharing Murph

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Murph, I might hit you up for some of that dum dum tape when I'm ready to put my A/C back together.

Did you ever have your POA Valve recalibrated or reconditioned for R-134?

Thanks Art